Funny exam question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
I was taking an exam in my cultural anthropology course, and this gem of a question popped up:

What is the name of the extended family unit among Muslims of western Bosnia?
a) tarawad
b) zadruga
c) lambic
d) weiss
e) urquell

I thought it was very funny.

a) Are you sure that's what was on the exam, or is that just what you saw?

b) What did you answer...lambic, or f)

Yeah, that's word-for-word taken from my exam. (the answer is actually A). My instructor did not know about the beer terms, as she gets her tests from another source. I believe, but am not sure, that the exams are from the same guy who wrote the textbook we use in the class.

Urquell is the czech city where pilsner was 'invented', right?

i thought i recognized that question. had the same one four years ago in my first anthropology class. unfortanately 80 anthropology credits later and a couple months away from recieving my degree in it i haven't seen another question like that.

The happy mug said:
Yeah, that's word-for-word taken from my exam. (the answer is actually A). Urquell is the czech city where pilsner was 'invented', right?

No, actually, "Ur" means "original" and "quell" or "quelle" means spring. So it's a recipe that uses the original spring water in their brew. Urquell is not a city in the Czech Republic.

As for "tarawad", it represents an (eastern) Indian matriarchal society, NOT an extended Slavic (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Kosovars, etc.) family as is "zadruga".

"Zadruga" is further discussed here: http://www.univie.ac.at/spacesofidentity/_Vol_2_3/_HTML/Vittorelli.html

I recommend you check the definition in an encyclopedia and bring it up to your instructor. I've challenged several professors along the way and won. No, it did not affect my grade.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've challenged several professors along the way and won. No, it did not affect my grade.
Yes, but when "challenged" by a 500 lb radioactive artillary shell, most sane instructors are gonna back down, don't you think? ;)

Pilsen, is where pilsner was "invented". Czech Budvar (Budweis over there, but the damn Busch family cries fowl everytime something to do with Bud is mentioned...)and Pilsner Urquell are credited with perfecting it.

Dude said:
Pilsen, is where pilsner was "invented". Czech Budvar (Budweis over there, but the damn Busch family cries fowl everytime something to do with Bud is mentioned...)and Pilsner Urquell are credited with perfecting it.
The Pilsen/Pilsener (shortened to Pils in German and Pilsner in Americanese) beer style originated in Plzen in the Czech Republic.

"Budweis" is a German translation of the Czech town named Czeske Budejovice (Chess-ka Boo-da-joe-vits-key - close enough).

The translation of Germanic words ending in "er" identifies the word as "masculine" an identifies anyone or thing from a specific area.

Technically speaking a true "Budweiser" is a man from the town of Budweis. A woman would be a "Budweiserine" ("erine" being the diminuative (feminine)suffix).

At it again Bill eh?!;) Good to see you back!
An "extended Slavic (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Kosovars, etc.) family" didn't work despite Tito's best efforts at the 'Country of Yugoslavia' - interesting that you still call them an 'extended family'. Not sure any of the families/friends STILL chasing justice with the various states over War Crimes from the whole Horror of the 1990's Break Down of Communist Rule would agree with you.... Tarawad doesn't make sense i agree! But it's term that might have made it's way into the language with the Muslim Population. With so many dead men and boys who's looked after the remaining people in rural communities? Matriachs i'd guess......

:off:
I know what you mean. I did 2 tours in Kosovo. The first one was right after the bombing stopped in Jun '99. We ran through so many deserted towns.

The Muslims certainly have spread their religion and influence around the worl on a grand scale. It took Christianity 2000 years to spread where it has and, for the most part, only 40 years for most of Islam. They have double standards also. They made most of their victims convert at knife/gun point, but in their religion it's illegal to preach any other religion to them.

When the Muslims attacked Pristina in 1389, Prince Lazar led the Serbs and Albanians into combat at the Field of Blackbirds, but the Albanian-Kosovars surrendered and converted to Islam to stay alive. The Serbs remain Catholic to this day.

Incidently, do you know why Yugo's had rear window defrosters as a standard feature?

To keep your hands warm when you push it. HAHAHAA

I'll ignore your post mostly (I work, live and deal with many people of various faiths and beliefs as you do - Extremes happen, But it's NOT the norm on the whole)
HOWEVER....If we took a YUGO car and then put it in under the velocity a 500 lb radioactive artillary shell would it actually hit 30 miles an hour? And if so could we repair it with genuine YUGO Parts? :D

It would definitely attain speeds over 30 MPH. Unfortunately that's in ALL directions!:eek:

I don't really think there would be any itty-bitty parts resembling the letters Y, U, G, or O anywhere!:eek:

(The other stuff was just history, not opinion. I learned a lot of history from the people who lived there. Of course, I had to also get counter-point and put it all together on my own.):D

Back