Hop Smash IPA- critique my recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophanatik86

Reaction score
I put together this recipe: All estimated figures are as calculated by the bee logic app.

Ingredients:
9.33# Marris Otter LME
.5# honey malt
.5# crystal malt 80L
.25# Belgian aromatic malt
.25# Biscuit malt
1 oz. warrior pellets 60min
1oz. Progress pellets 20min
1oz. Challenger 20min
1oz. Citra 0min
1oz. Challenger 0min
1oz. Citra leaf dry hopped 7 days

Any feed back would be great.
Expected figures are:
OG 1.070
FG 1.016
Ibu 80
SRM 14
Abv 7.7%+

How is my hopping schedule?

I think hop schedule looks good, based on it being similar to the HopSlam Clone i just bottled. I'd recommend doing your flameout hop as a hop stand. Its a cool technique that a lot of brewers are getting great results with so I'd search it up if you haven't read about it yet.

I just read on hopstand. I had already planned on allowing the wort to stand for 15-20 minutes after flameout to extract more from the last hop addition.

i'm not familiar with progress hop so i cant comment on that, but challenger w citra is not a combo I'd do. challenger is pretty spicy & engligh-y, citra is tropical. maybe it'll be great, but i'd go with something instead of challenger. schedule looks good otherwise, albeit a lil low on the dry hop.

make sure to add a good chunk of that extract late in the boil

i think something like goldings or noble-esque would go better with the citra if you want to keep it as something UK-esque. otherwise, I'd probably go with one of the big american ones like centennial, amarillo, cascade, mosaic or simcoe, or a NZ variety like nelson sauvin or galaxy. all depends what kinda flavors/aroma you're trying to achieve, i'm just a lil weary of how the earthy/spicy character of challenger would mesh with the tropical fruit of citra, but that doesn't mean it won't work if you want to try it

You do know that SMASH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop, neither seems to apply to this recipe.

I'd dump the honey malt and add in some simple sugar.

Hops: the Warrior is ok, but would go with maybe all-Citra for finishing and add them at 15 mins on-in. Or combine the Citra with Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, ....... or more Citra!

You do know that SMASH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop, neither seems to apply to this recipe.

I'd dump the honey malt and add in some simple sugar.

Hops: the Warrior is ok, but would go with maybe all-Citra for finishing and add them at 15 mins on-in. Or combine the Citra with Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, ....... or more Citra!

Yes I do know what a SMaSH is and was not using the name in that context. Just in terms of a large hop beer like I have seen one brewery use the name Hop Slam.

I'm ditching all challenger hops in favor of an additional 1oz of citra at 20 min and 2oz at dry hopping and 1 oz of progress at flame out

I brewed this this Monday! It's been chugging hard ever since just a cpl hours after pitching the yeast and in surprised to with wisconsin getting hit hard with a -42 degree weather I could get my home warmer then 55-60 with it being so cold. Now it's a touch warmer and sitting at 65. The smells coming out of the blow off tube are down right hop heavenly though :) haha

The recipe looks good though I would have done the hop schedule differently. Simcoe and galaxy are buttering hops so I would have added those at your 30-60min additions and all the citra from 15min-flameout

The recipe looks good though I would have done the hop schedule differently. Simcoe and galaxy are buttering hops so I would have added those at your 30-60min additions and all the citra from 15min-flameout

Galaxy hops, per hopunion: "Typically used as a late addition - the aroma and flavor characteristics become more pronounced the later the addition"

I think simcoe works well at either point, but I'm just a newbie ^^

Haha I hope yours is delicious as well my Sir!! I just racked my IPA into secondary last night and dry hopped with 2 oz of citra. After taking FG I tasted the wort and OMFG it's so delicious and not even done. I can't wait for this one to be done

Galaxy hops, per hopunion: "Typically used as a late addition - the aroma and flavor characteristics become more pronounced the later the addition"

I think simcoe works well at either point, but I'm just a newbie ^^

Oh ok beer smith has galaxy listed as a buttering hop.

Haha I hope yours is delicious as well my Sir!! I just racked my IPA into secondary last night and dry hopped with 2 oz of citra. After taking FG I tasted the wort and OMFG it's so delicious and not even done. I can't wait for this one to be done

Let me know how it is after carbonation too !

I host bottled this brew today! Man is it delicious! It finished at 6.2% it's not even carbed up yet and tastes awesome. My first several beers didn't taste that great at bottling but were great with two weeks in the bottle I can't wait for this one to be ready😈

Back