Shiner Ruby Redbird Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to attempt a Shiner Ruby Redbird Clone. There is an old thread on this forum I researched that never made it to a conclusion. Need some suggestions on Hops additions for the grapefruit flavor addition.

I have an all grain regular Shiner Bock lager clone recipe from my local brew supply store. I am going to add some grated fresh ginger at some point in the boil, yet to determine the exact amount or addition time.

Need advise on the Hops. Been trying to research hops to provide the grapefruit taste. Amarillo comes up the most in my searches. Anyone think this is a good choice or have other recommendations? Would I be better off just adding grapefruit zest late or post boil?

SWMBO loves the Ruby Redbird, if I can pull this off she might start to think the few hundred bucks worth of brewing gear I have accumulated is worth it.

I am looking to attempt a Shiner Ruby Redbird Clone. There is an old thread on this forum I researched that never made it to a conclusion. Need some suggestions on Hops additions for the grapefruit flavor addition.

I have an all grain regular Shiner Bock lager clone recipe from my local brew supply store. I am going to add some grated fresh ginger at some point in the boil, yet to determine the exact amount or addition time.

Need advise on the Hops. Been trying to research hops to provide the grapefruit taste. Amarillo comes up the most in my searches. Anyone think this is a good choice or have other recommendations? Would I be better off just adding grapefruit zest late or post boil?

SWMBO loves the Ruby Redbird, if I can pull this off she might start to think the few hundred bucks worth of brewing gear I have accumulated is worth it.

Shiner used citra hops. Galaxy could come close but I would go with citra. But they used grapefruit as well that is native to south texas so look for that to come close flavor wise. I tried a few clones last summer and the ginger is hard to dial in...too much puckers the mouth. The grapefruit also needs to be added for only a few days. I left mine in the secondary for waaay too long and on another I didnt use enough... but I ramble... Citra hops would be the route to go to answer your question. Not sure what the bittering hops were but I think they used 3 different additions in their typical spectrum (mt. hood, citra, and cascade I think...).

The beer is also a lager and after my trial runs, I would try to acquire just the red grapefruit juice rather than the actual fruit. Just my thoughts from my notes. A lot of the Shinerites didnt like this brew since it was quite a departure from the hits like 98 (my SWMBO is from Shiner). I think they are crazy...one of the best beers they ever produced:rockin:

According to the bottle I read yesterday, Shiner uses both Mt Hood and Citra. I didn't try it as my cardiologists and pharmacist say to stay away from any grapefruit at all with the heart meds I use.
On a side note, my neighbor down at the coast was drinking this beer all evening and liked it...and he is a diehard MillerLite fan...so that says a lot to me.

According to the bottle I read yesterday, Shiner uses both Mt Hood and Citra. I didn't try it as my cardiologists and pharmacist say to stay away from any grapefruit at all with the heart meds I use.
On a side note, my neighbor down at the coast was drinking this beer all evening and liked it...and he is a diehard MillerLite fan...so that says a lot to me.

I hope they keep producing this one for awhile. Shiner always retires some of their best beers. Hopefully the redbird stays in rotation for some time.

I was just in Shiner TX. Last week they said they were going to make Ruby Redbird a permanent selection.

Latest posts

Back