Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a 'Church Key' was required to open a canned beverage?
220px-Churchkey_patent_1996550.jpg

And the LED watches. Man I wanted one so bad it just hurt and then when I got it I wore out the battery in a month flat looking at it. Sigh now I prefer a watch with a big dial and fat hands so I can see it.:D

I was telling my kid the other day how things were when I was her age. I think she had a hard time envisioning a world with out cell phones and electronic games and such.

When a 'Church Key' was required to open a canned beverage?
220px-Churchkey_patent_1996550.jpg

And then the pull tabs came out and we thought life was grand. Remember the push button beer cans after the pull tabs hehe.

And now I drink home brew out of a bottle and have to carry a much newer church key around with me. Things have gone full circle I guess.

This thread got me to thinking... Who is the oldest member that frequents this board?

Anyone here in their 80's?

And then the pull tabs came out and we thought life was grand. Remember the push button beer cans after the pull tabs hehe.

And now I drink home brew out of a bottle and have to carry a much newer church key around with me. Things have gone full circle I guess.

I was just thinking about push button cans. I couldn't think of what to call them to look for them.

SodaPepsi.jpg

Gas was $.85 a gallon

3067830-concept-images-depicting-high-fuel-prices.jpg

It was socially acceptable to wear these in public.

tumblr_lwxwpkCBhu1r6pjk1o1_1280.jpg

Slap bracelets were cool until they disappeared after becoming a cutting hazard.

slapbracelets.jpg

Let's hear about your childhood / glory days memories.

I still wear slap bracelets. I like them. I need a quick and easy way to accessorize my wrist that involves hitting.

I was just thinking about push button cans. I couldn't think of what to call them to look for them.

SodaPepsi.jpg

I remember getting those across the river in Canada but not having them in the states. Maybe because Michigan was still using returnable bottles?

My dad was never much of a beer drinker, but there was always beer at the house. I remember one day someone was over at the house doing some work and my dad offered him a beer. The guy accepted and my dad went to the fridge to get one he came back, and handed it to the guy, who started to open it and then looked at the top, and said I haven't seen one of these in years. My dad was kind of embarrassed when he realized it had a pull tab on it.

Remember eating from these

BigMacStyrofoam.jpg

I knew one of the inventors of the paper they replaced the clamshell with who said that the paper was actually longer lasting in the landfill than the foam box. Due to the chemical coating required to give the paper its insulation and grease resistant properties.

I learned to use a slide rule in high school. This was right when the personal calculators became popular - which were bigger than today's cell phones. The one below was the popular with the nerds back then. I couldn't afford one, but I wanted one! If for nothing else than to type in 7734! Boy was that a hoot back then

25.jpg

Sounds like you have me beat by just a few years. This is what I was rockin in High School. Nobody disputed my math skillz!

e01907152dc21359b1ca7b2afdbdb1cd-orig

Just went back a page and saw the overhead projectors, and the question about what they use now. Before I retired, some amazing "white boards" were just starting to be used in the schools. I'm not sure what they all did and how they could be used, but I believe that what was written on the board could be copied and printed on 8.5 X 11 paper and handed out, or even downloaded to the student's computer.

glenn514:mug:

Now the teachers can write on their tablet, and it shows up on the white board at the front of class. They can still print, but they can also email a distro list with the image on the board.

Just went back a page and saw the overhead projectors, and the question about what they use now. Before I retired, some amazing "white boards" were just starting to be used in the schools. I'm not sure what they all did and how they could be used, but I believe that what was written on the board could be copied and printed on 8.5 X 11 paper and handed out, or even downloaded to the student's computer.

My high school had a few of those in 98-2000. That was when it was really new and cutting edge. So cutting edge we the students were learning how to use them faster than the teachers that had to be "specially trained" to operate the unit. I think the art teachers were to only ones to really use 100% of the units capabilities. Probably a different story now 13years later.

The school associated with the congregation I served was just beginning to install those "smart" white boards when I retired in 2009. The only teacher who really knew how to use them was the junior high science teacher...and she did a fantastic job! Me? I have no clue!

The school associated with the congregation I served was just beginning to install those "smart" white boards when I retired in 2009. The only teacher who really knew how to use them was the junior high science teacher...and she did a fantastic job! Me? I have no clue!

The modern version is amazing.

We don't have them at the medschool yet, but we use a version of the same software by SMART technologies on the monitors the teachers use in the classrooms and lecturehalls to draw on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revvy said:
The modern version is amazing.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISevviuEsn4

We don't have them at the medschool yet, but we use a version of the same software by SMART technologies on the monitors the teachers use in the classrooms and lecturehalls to draw on the screen.

I don't know. Looks like a waste of money to me...

I am still lusting over that watch. But it would take a huge version or I would have to carry around a magnifying glass to see the numbers and buttons

Then and now:

Televisions. If you were to give a brand new plasma TV a good whack, it would probably break it. Back in the 1970's giving your TV a good whack was how you fixed it.

How about this sucker? Could it be used as a laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
What subject did you teach?

My undergraduate degree is a B.A. in Education. All of my teaching was done in schools of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. At the beginning of my career, I taught seventh grade...ALL subjects. I was also the music director for the entire congregation. My master's degree is in the field of church music.

I realized, after about 15 years of work, that I could NOT teach full-time and also direct ALL of the music of the church and school. For the final twelve years of my service, I taught ONE classroom music course, but directed three choirs, three handbell choirs, two bands, and planned 80% of the music for the congregation's worship, in addition to playing FOUR services on a normal weekend. That kept me out of trouble!

The first hand held Texas Instument calculator would add, subtract, multiply and divide cost $600!!! Needless to say that was beyond our reach and Dad did all the town finance reports on a hand crank ten number calculator, it was a large, heavy piece of equipment.

I'll see you and raise you!
teletype_asr33_1.jpg

modem2.jpg

Similar to the first computer I ever played on in the mid-1970's. My best friend's dad owned a "computer company" and on the weekends he would bring home on a huge 200lb+ set-up on a big roll-around rack and wee would use a modem (like that one) to plug into the mainframe back at his business and play blackjack and such. The computer had "somehow" learned horrible insults with language that we would never dare use in front of our parents ... to us the foul language made the machine seem even more A.I. !

No mouse ... no monitor ... communicated on the keyboard and read on the printer.

Similar to the first computer I ever played on in the mid-1970's. My best friend's dad owned a "computer company" and on the weekends he would bring home on a huge 200lb+ set-up on a big roll-around rack and wee would use a modem (like that one) to plug into the mainframe back at his business and play blackjack and such. The computer had "somehow" learned horrible insults with language that we would never dare use in front of our parents ... to us the foul language made the machine seem even more A.I. !

No mouse ... no monitor ... communicated on the keyboard and read on the printer.

I remember my dad had one of these electric typewriters / word processors. He thought he was pretty cool when he hit the print button and it typed out a letter at like 500 words per min or something.

unbranded-electronic-word-processing-typewriter.jpg

I can remember in high school you could get a 1/4 of the good sticky icky for a 20 spot.

Not that I knew anything about it. Just knew this guy.

I think I knew that guy too.

I've been told that once upon a time it was totally customary to hold a purchase in the air and put your hand next to it to measure it in "fingers" and then to negotiate some additional amount to be dropped in as it "looked a little short". Geez, I wonder if they still do that.
And I've been told of the horrible wailing and gnashing of teeth when an ounce went to $40 (!). Such indignation! The nerve.

Seems so long ago ... before the Internet ... before VHS, video games and cable tv.

To get places we walked backwards along the side of roads with one thumb pointed toward the sky ... a strange custom. I must have walked a couple hundred miles backwards in 1976.

I think I knew that guy too.

I've been told that once upon a time it was totally customary to hold a purchase in the air and put your hand next to it to measure it in "fingers" and then to negotiate some additional amount to be dropped in as it "looked a little short". Geez, I wonder if they still do that.
And I've been told of the horrible wailing and gnashing of teeth when a certain amount went to $40. Such indignation! The nerve.

Seems so long ago ... before the Internet ... before VHS, video games and cable tv.

To get places we walked backwards along the side of roads with one thumb pointed toward the sky ... a strange custom. I must have walked a couple hundred miles backwards in 1976.

Sheesh I knew that same guy I think. I figured it must be some kind of code because 3 fingers in a bag was a lid and cost 20 bucks.....or so I was told

Honestly I loved the 60's and early 70's. I know it sounds wrong but it was a different time back then. Every pickup in the school parking lot had a rifle in the back window and a cooler of beer in the front seat. Now they are going to ban Idaho because if you put it on its side it "looks" like a gun.

Things were better back then.

Remember eating from these

BigMacStyrofoam.jpg

Reminds me of how much I miss .99cent Burger King Whoppers ... and in fact, if you were "in the know", you would ask for some number of "extra's" (which they actually had a key for on the cash register) and without actually charging you extra money would double, triple, or quadruple the amount of the toppings they put on the Whopper making it ridiculously huge.
"One whopper with extra, extra, extra, extra, extra everything, please."

I miss the .99 Jumbo Jack. I lived on those when I was in school.

The last Big Mack I ever ate was in one of those Styrofoam packages. Whoppers were 39¢ went to 44¢, then to 49¢ in a hurry. Gas was 25¢ but occasionally went to 19¢. A great car got 5 mpg. The cops were cool, if you got caught with beer you dumped it out. Life at 15- 18 was fun. 1967- 1970 Except for that Vietnam thing. We had a draft lottery, my year they expected to draft to 140 I drew 139. So I sat waiting for the year to end. I think they went to 86 so I was never close.

... The cops were cool, if you got caught with beer you dumped it out. ...

Yep, if they didn't make you dump it (aka "plant it") and instead confiscated it but did not write you, you know what they were doing after work that day.

Back