Cold crash primary and then secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So I just made a batch of an ipa. Ultimately I want to dry hop this in the keg. After primary I'd like to crash cool it and secondary it. I have 2 questions on this.

1) Should I let it heat up to room temps in secondary or just keep is crash cooled?

2) If I'm crash cooling the primary is there any point in secondary?

I'd just really like to get as much crap out of suspension before I dry hop

Given what room temperature is in Southern California this week I intend to maintain temperature control of my IPA until Christmas.

I see no point in cold crashing or using a secondary if you are going to dry hop, it's not going to be clear anyway.

I see no point in cold crashing or using a secondary if you are going to dry hop, it's not going to be clear anyway.

sure it will be clear, unless there is some sort of problem. Some highly hopped beers may have a faint hops haze, but for the most part they still should be clear. I don't like hazy or murky beer, so I make all of my beers (including IPAs) clear.

As to answers:

1. It doesn't matter, but beer ages faster at warmer temperatures. If the secondary is for aging (although I wouldn't dream of aging an IPA), the temperature can be warmer. I'd keep it cold, to preserve as much as the fresh hops aroma as possible.

2. Not really. The point of a secondary would be to clear and age a bit. If you can get clear beer in the primary, and dryhop in the primary, I don't see any benefit to racking it again.

Back