Sam's Club 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
Sam's is selling these for 32usd, I might buy one and mash with it, but it is only 5 gallons. The legs fold back up and they are pretty strong.

What does everyone think?

Is 5 gallons big enough?

179913_2196310004222_802179840_n.jpg

I like the legs... You could probably get 15 lbs in there if you mash thick. However that's almost the same price as a 10 gallon cooler so why not just get that.

If you ever plan on doing 10 gallon batches or high gravity 5 gallon batches in the future, than I would go for the 10 gallon- you won't regret it. I stinks having to essentially repurchase equipment when you upgrade one component of your system. But the legs are pretty sweet.

for my first mash tun, I just picked up one blue igloo cooler, just to the left of this one. it's about 15 gallons.. cubed shape and was $27. The label said it will "keep cool" for 4 days and the seal and insulation looked pretty decent.

the only "issue" i could see is that the spigot is on the back.. for $27 i can work around that..

here's a better pic http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-60-Qt.-Ice-Cube-Roller-Cooler/5663765

Anyone have any experience with this cooler?

for my first mash tun, I just picked up one blue igloo cooler, just to the left of this one. it's about 15 gallons.. cubed shape and was $27. The label said it will "keep cool" for 4 days and the seal and insulation looked pretty decent.

the only "issue" i could see is that the spigot is on the back.. for $27 i can work around that..

here's a better pic http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-60-Qt.-Ice-Cube-Roller-Cooler/5663765

Anyone have any experience with this cooler?

I use that as my swamp cooler, so if it doesn't work out as a mash tun there is always that. Holds temps great. I used to lager in it.

That's the identical cooler I use for my mash tun. I added the valve on the opposite side of the spigot. The only issue I have... the side wall seems a little thin. I was worried the side walls wouldn't hold up when I added the ball valve. Two years later... no problems. Holds temps with very well even for long mashes.

I have a MLT just like that but w/o the legs. I love mine when doing small batches. It also looks VERY useful for a portable setup.

Back