BIAB with small pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylee21

Reaction score
I want to make sure this setup is ok...

I'm doing one gallon test batches with the BIAB method. After I factor in grain absorption and boil off rate, I need 7 qts to start with to end with 1 gallon for a 60 minute boil. The issue is my pot is an 8 qt pot. If I fill the pot up to 7 qts then put in the grain, it will overflow.

Is it ok to only use 4 or 5 qts for the mash, then fill the rest of the pot up after the grain comes out?

I know the real answer is "get a bigger pot", but I want to brew today and if I spend another dollar on something my wife will possibly hurt me...

Yes, it's fine. You could pull the grains out and soak the grains in the top up water at 170° F. Then squeeze the bag and add the water to your main pot.

For best efficiency, it is best not to add water, but rather "sparge" and rinse the grain as much as possible. This can be done by either dunking the bag in the top up water in a bucket, sprinkling the water over the grain bag. You could also add boiling water from a smaller pot to the mash to nearly fill your kettle, stir well and then remove the bag, this will max out your smaller pot.

For best efficiency, it is best not to add water, but rather "sparge" and rinse the grain as much as possible. This can be done by either dunking the bag in the top up water in a bucket, sprinkling the water over the grain bag. You could also add boiling water from a smaller pot to the mash to nearly fill your kettle, stir well and then remove the bag, this will max out your smaller pot.

I second the sparge method as this has worked well for me.

Back