Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know everyone is busy brewing but I'm trying to think up a good Hefeweizen/Dunkelweizen brew. I just ordered some Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast.

Can anyone recommend a good recipe? I was thinking of just following the Bee Cave recipe here.

I know everyone is busy brewing but I'm trying to think up a good Hefeweizen/Dunkelweizen brew. I just ordered some Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast.

Can anyone recommend a good recipe? I was thinking of just following the Bee Cave recipe here.

lot's of people really like that recipe. I liked it, but didn't love it. I preferred the blood orange hefe recipe on here and jamils dunkelweizen recipe over it.

I have been thinking about trying to clone the pyramid hefe, but haven't just yet

When is the next group buy dead line? Is it something that you guys kind of just decide on when the order is large enough? Putting a large investment into brewing supplies will probably get me in some trouble until after my wedding in August... unless you guys want to give me wedding presents!

When is the next group buy dead line? Is it something that you guys kind of just decide on when the order is large enough? Putting a large investment into brewing supplies will probably get me in some trouble until after my wedding in August... unless you guys want to give me wedding presents!

We are shooting for mid to late summer (I think someone said June earliest), but we need to meet the bag limits first (~168). So it is sort of up in the air.

We are trying to get it down to about 3-4 buys per year to ease the burden on our delivery point, which is a business that is doing a a solid. i.e. we don't want to kill them with tons of orders per year

That's cool! I'll just troll around HBT for a few more months then. I'll just find the thread again and post when I can risk the investment:p

For what ever reason if this business can't come through, I'm sure I can convince someone to let you guys offload where I work. It will only take a few beers... gluten free would go far with the director of facilities!!

That's cool! I'll just troll around HBT for a few more months then. I'll just find the thread again and post when I can risk the investment:p

For what ever reason if this business can't come through, I'm sure I can convince someone to let you guys offload where I work. It will only take a few beers... gluten free would go far with the director of facilities!!

Thanks for the offer.

We have already done a buy and shipped through the company and it worked out very well. So it shouldn't be a problem in the future but if it is we could rotate. We only handle shipment through the company and buy from another source.

Never tried or brewed gluten free beer though. Maybe some guys on here have

Almost finished with my control panel:

photo_15_1.JPG

Big thanks to Cidah for putting up with my questions!

Almost finished with my control panel:

photo_15_1.JPG

Big thanks to Cidah for putting up with my questions!

Looking real good - you took the ball and ran with it :D So definitely something to be proud of. I am sure that you can't wait to get a brew in with your herms asap. Maybe this weekend?

Looking real good - you took the ball and ran with it :D So definitely something to be proud of. I am sure that you can't wait to get a brew in with your herms asap. Maybe this weekend?

I want to, but all my kegs are full =( Need to start dispensing asap! :mug:

Throw a pinball party for all your homebrewtalk buddies Saturday and brew on Sunday! I'm sure you will have a couple empties!

And... we're mashing!

First brew day in awhile, going to try and crank out 4 batches (2 back to back side by sides). I installed a new whole house water filtration system yesterday and my water tastes so damn delicious now. I can't wait to see what this does to the brews. I'm also using my new Thermapen for the first time and was able to hit my mash temperature spot on. So far so good! My coffee is gone, so it might be time to partake in some homebrew.

Currently mashing: Extra Stout and a Brown Porter. Next up, Witbier and an Amarillo Blonde -- I need to formulate those recipes and get them measured out.

Anyone else brewing today?

We were going to brew today but the asst brewer is sick so we called it off.

Might still rack the New Castle Clone to a secondary to clear it up a little today.

I am brewing tomorrow as well! 2-4 batches, we will see how it goes :D enjoy!

I will also be brewing tomorrow. Should just about kill my base grain from the round 5 buy. You guys are definitely a bad influence. Am slowly but surely acquiring parts for e-herms upgrade.

I will also be brewing tomorrow. Should just about kill my base grain from the round 5 buy. You guys are definitely a bad influence. Am slowly but surely acquiring parts for e-herms upgrade.

haha - great news for you. Bad news for your wallet :D

We are recovering for a bit but all we really need is to set up the eherms coil and hardware. Still debating stainless vs. copper....

we just bought the 2'' roller monster mill (3 roller hardened steel one). Just set it up with a motor and it is rockin' .35 setting and 185rpms [2'' pulley and 10'' pulley motor is 1140 rpms] Great link for finding your motor rps w pulleys. Grain crush just got wicked over here!

Just about done mashing the second set of brews. I'm digging the thermapen, it's allowing me to be way more accurate than I was with my floating glass thermometer. I was within a degree on all 4 of my target mash temps and within .001 on the first two batches' starting gravities. Hopefully I'll do the same with these next 2.

Not brewing today, but I brewed the Denny Rye IPA yesterday using BIAB. First time using BIAB. I had a problem with too much water because Beer Smith overestimated the volume. In the end, my OG was too low despite a 120 min boil. I think I'll be better prepared next time.

I'm borrowing a friend's Thermapen right now and it's very nice. I'm just not sure I can justify the price.

Next brew will be a hefeweizen.

Hopefully brewing tomorrow. Got all my parts just need to install my stir motor and clean everything with PBW. Had to but a new mash tun cooler since I shattered it drilling a hole for a rtd probe. Oh well. Needed a new one anyways. Well see how the new eHERMs works.

Ok im sold on electric! eHERMs was super easy to use and held my mash temp perfectly!

Here is my completed setup:
543018_605705958457_21600820_32034067_185974679_n.jpg

Not super pretty but it worked really well. Most likely going to get rid of the propane and electrify my keggle when i get some more $.

Ok im sold on electric! eHERMs was super easy to use and held my mash temp perfectly!

Here is my completed setup:

Not super pretty but it worked really well. Most likely going to get rid of the propane and electrify my keggle when i get some more $.

Nice! I knew the electric comforts would hook into you :D Awesome that you have it all sorted out. Can't wait until I get the last parts of my herms.

Nice work on the big brew day twogunz. We ended up doing 3 batches and realized we had no more fermenters so the rest would put on hold. Monster mill was a champ (better be for what they charge for it! ha). We did bottle 4 cases of cider and a couple of beers as well. Nice relaxing day. Good to get a few in the supply line since we have been build crazy for so long.

Whats the deal with the keg interest? When would we know if its possible to get them at those prices?

We havent heard anything about it in a while. Not sure if its dead or not.

Also if you are interested in gaining access to the sheet, read post 2 of this thread.

Whats the deal with the keg interest? When would we know if its possible to get them at those prices?

I could be speaking out of turn. However i believe that deal may have fell through. Not sure as I never talked to Mparsons directly about it. He was heading it up.

Brian + 1 on the grain storage life as per twogunz. I have read up to 2 years or more uncrushed and stored well. Personally I have seen over 1 year+ with great results with the grain. i.e. the bulk buys are toally worth it, even of you just get 2row and hit up the lhbs for specialty grains.

You will brew a lot more when you have lots of cheap grain on hand. it is a good thing.

Damn it! Forgot my google docs password again... Was thinking about adding another bag :D

Hops

Hey all. I am interested in trying to get some hops in bulk. I don't know about you guys, but I pretty much buy hops by the lb anyway. I was thinking that we could set up splits for common hops, like EKG or Magnum, Crystal, etc. 1 share would be 1 lb of hops. We need 11 to close the split. This would put 55 lbs of hops in the ~6$+ range.

You want to look under the "Contract/Spot" column starting on page 16 for a general idea of pricing. Shipping would be basically nothing per bag. I assume that we would do it by poundage with 55lbs of hops for ~$6 shipping.

The hops would come in 1lb sealed mylar bags (I have gotten hops through NCM before). ALL HOPS FOR THIS PURPOSE WOULD BE PELLETS But you need to buy the 11lbs box of one type to get the price. So for each hop type we need turn burn up 11 shares.

What do you guys think?

I would be interested in these (Jeff maybe you can set something up on the sheet?):
(bolded are my top five of interest)

HU‐90CLM Columbus 14-16% (T) $5.56
HU‐90MTH Mt Hood 4-8% (T) $8.30
HU‐90GSZ Saaz 2-5% (T) $7.48
HU‐90GMG Magnum 11-16% (T) $7.05
HU‐90EKG East Kent Golding 4-7% (T) $9.80

HU‐90CAS Cascade 4.5-7% (T) $6.39
HU‐90CTP Centennial Type 9.5-11.5% (T) $6.80
HU‐90FGL Fuggle 4-5.5% (T) $8.80
HU‐90WLT Willamette 4-6% (T) $6.05
HU‐90TNG Tettnang 4-5% (T) $8.57

I'm interested in pretty much any hops that I don't have (which is most of the stuff on your list, Cidah). I always find that I never have the hops I want for a given recipe and HATE paying the high cost at the LHBS. I probably wouldn't take more than a pound or two though of any one variety.

Cidah I would be interested in a pound of everything on your list.

The keg buy is still alive just trying to lock up a price. Is everyone still interested?

Sounds good guys - everyone else please keep posting interest.

My goal would be we would get 11 to buy 1 lb each. But I would buy up to two lbs of certain types of hops if that made a difference.

I am still interested in the kegs. My buddy is about to build a keezer too so keep me in the loop.

I would definitly be in for a few lbs of hops.

I would be in for at least one of each:
HU‐90MTH Mt Hood 4-8% (T) $8.30
HU‐90GSZ Saaz 2-5% (T) $7.48
HU‐90EKG East Kent Golding 4-7% (T) $9.80

Maybe two of the EKG, I am feeling the English Pale Ale/ESBs this summer.

I'm out on the keg buy or maybe in for just a couple. I'll try and remember to update the spreadsheet when I'm at my computer. I couldn't wait and ordered some.

Hey all let me know what you might be interested in for hops and I will keep track. You can add more hop types to the sheet - just let me know what you are looking for. Also we will not have commitment on these hops until we get to 11 bags per type. Here is what I have so far (see below):

Note: I would (and it sounds like others woudl as well) double up on quite a few of these at these prices (I eat EKG for breakfast on my toast). So let's see if we can get enough interest and have hops be a new big portion of the summer buy. I would love to rack in these kinds of savings and go from tons of little bags in my freezer to large bags for each type!

Drocu - I put you down for one of each, feel free to let me know which you do not want if applicable.
gcdowd - let me know what types and qty for each you have interest in.

Almost half way there on some of them :D - I posted the chart below on post #2 for tracking purposes.

Hops.jpg

Back