MRB Castor Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ercscotty

Reaction score
So, I'm still playing with Mr. Beer (MRB). Here's a recipe I'm playing with. I've noticed a bunch of people post and get some good responses as to what to add.

Forgive me, but I do not get the whole percentage blah blah blah...

1 can creamy brown UME (19 oz)
1/2 oz of Northern Brew Hops(NBH)
1/2 oz of fuggle hops
bag of booster
1 cup of table sugar

So I took the UME and boiled it for 90 minutes with the NBH in a hop sack the entire time. As the UME and 5 quarts of water heated I slowly added the booster and sugar till it came to a boil. After 60 min I removed the NBH and added another sack of the fuggle for the last 30. 15 mins in I readded the NBH.
I took a 11 oz packet of Safbrew T-58 Dry Ale Yeast and kick started it in 75 degree water and added it to the wort when it reached 80 degrees.
Now, the OG was 1.048, checked 1 week later it was at 1.012 and then 3 days later it's at 1.010. I still see some small bubbling in the fermenter (MBR fermenter keg)

It tastes ok as far as a brown ale.....With all this information..what would you do different or what UME or HME would you have added to make it better?

Usually the bittering hops are left in the boil for the entire duration of the boil to maximize the extraction. I would use a pound (or 2, if you are shooting for higher starting gravity) of dry malt extract instead of the booster and the sugar and boil that for 60 minutes with the hops and stir in the UME at flame out. I would also steep some caramel malt (e.g. 4-6 oz of carapils) before the boil to give the final product that "fresh" taste that can only come from using real grains.

Back