Little Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I don't get it. I've done, like, twelve batches now, and never had a problem with bottle carbonation. Why then, after three weeks, does a batch have no more carb. than it did after one week? I did everything the same as always. Same priming sugar, same location, same temp.(about 70 degrees) Tastes awesome. "Summit IPA" mini-mash from Austin Homebrew. Just no carb. I don't get it.:confused:

Was it a long time in the fermentor before you tried bottle carbing it? It could be that you don't have much viable yeast left. If most are dead or settled out you may not have many yeast left to ferment the sugar. That is one possibility.

It was in the primary for one week, secondary for three. I think I'll bring em upstairs where its a little warmer and let em sit for a month. I'm really in no hurry for them, I've got, like ten cases of HB around, in various stages of consumtion.

Say, I just thought of something. This is the first batch that I used Irish Moss in. Do you suppose that had anything to do with it? I beleive I used 1 teaspoon @ 15 minutes, as per the instructions.

No, it's probably not the irish moss. It's probably the temp. Bring 'em upstairs. Cuddle with them if you want, or if SWMBO doesn't mind. ;)

Not the irish moss.

Also try tipping them upside down for a day or two or just shake the sh!te out of them and let them settle for a week.

Sometimes a very flocculent yeast will go dormant if the temp is too low and even warming them up won't help unless they are roused in the bottle. So so both, rouse and warm. Once carbed, then condition at cooler temps.

Many times it depends on the yeast you used to make the brew. Some take longer to carbonate than others, particularyly the highly floculant yeasts. If you put in the correct amount of sugar and hold at 70-80°, they will carbonate in time. Shaking the bottles vigorously will help but I would just put them in a warm place and wait.

OK, cool. I used Nottingham yeast, as usual. I brought em upstairs and shook each bottle a bit. Now they're sitting next to the bed. SWMBO hasn't complained yet. Here's the next potential problem. I've bottled two more batches since this one, and bottling another on Friday, not to mention my first AG, brewing on Sat. I hope this is an isolated incident. SWMBO won't tolerate eight or ten cases at a time in the bedroom, I don't think. Maybe it's time to start kegging.
Thanx guys

Back