Alabama Scuppernong 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Scuppernong wine has cleared brilliantly and has been stabilized and is ready for bulk aging. I used a medium toast French oak powder in the primary fermentation. My question is: should I age it on oak spirals?? It finished out very dry and I am not going to back-sweeten it. It taste like a chardonnay with a wonderful "Southern" Muscadine flavor.
To Oak or not, that is the question! Thanks-Giddy 1526500_502359336548971_524489431_n.jpg

FeelinKindaGiddy said:
Thanks for all the input guys! I was really hoping Yooper or some of the other longtime wine heads would chime in!

I've never used oak! Or a kit. Or real wine grapes..... Just fruits and wild grapes. I don't like oaked wines.... But the spirels look like fun!

I decided to oak it with a medium-plus French Oak spiral. I cleared with isinglass and multiple rackings.
Tasting AWESOME!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392763101.524873.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392763115.129679.jpg

Back