2.5 Gallon Boil Volume Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

603Brew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've read a bunch about 2.5 gallon brews and scaling the hops etc., but I am trying to figure out if the Boil Volume should scale as well.

For instance:

For a 5 gallon brew your boil volume would be (about) 3 gallons or so, and then add the extra 2 to 2.5 gallons post boil to bring your batch volume to 5.

For a 2.5 gallon brew, do I need to scale this? Or can I simply just boil 3 gallons to bring it down to around 2.5 and no need to add water post boil?

Thanks for the help, noob here. Got the good ol' Caribou Slobber in the fermenter at the moment, and I want to start doing some single hopped IPA's to get a good feel for the taste of different hop varieties (and I don't wish to have to make two cases of beer each time...)

Right- a better beer results from a bigger boil. So boil as much as you can.

The reason for a partial boil is to help brewers who can't boil 6+ gallon of liquid on their stoves. Boiling a partial amount and then topping up to 5 gallons in the fermenter is one way to get around it. But it's still desirable to boil as much as possible.

If you're going to do a 5-gal full boil, it will weigh about 40#. Make sure you have a means of transferring the wort into the carboy.

Also get an immersion chiller if you don't already have one.

Back