Dumb AG mistake - short a couple lbs of grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Had a funny feeling about the sack of grain looking light, but blew it off and proceeded with the brew. I must have measured the grain wrong because, in the end, I wound up with an OG of 1.036.
Anyway, I'm tempted to just let it ride and have a sessionable APA. Either that or add some DME to boost it up a bit.
What do you folks think? Help me make up my mind.

The recipe was supposed to be
9.5 lbs of 2-row (but was probably less)
A pound of c-40.
Mashed at 152

.5 Centennial at 60
.75 Centennial at 20
1.50 Centennial at 5

Fermenting with a 2 L starter of 1272.

I may skip the .75 of dry hops now. Anyway, thanks!

Tough choice, it's always nice to have an APA on hand though, doing one next week myself.

The more I think about it, I think I'll just let it ride, and skip the dry hops. Some of my best brewing "aha!" moments arose out of mistakes, and this might be another one of those mistakes. Besides, I've really been enjoying a 4.5% English-style bitter I have on hand now. A >4% APA might be good.

I don't think .75 oz will hurt it! Do you bottle or keg? Could always add dry hops to keg afyer tasting it Either way, nothing wrong with a low alc beer!

Excellent idea - I keg so I could definitely give that a shot. Thanks!

I did about the same thing but my OG was 1.040 in my first AG attempt, it was efficiency not LBs of grain. I went a bit nuts and added 3lbs of frozen Pineapple. It is a nice girly beer as I like to say, not to strong and a bit fruity. My wife loves it but I wish I wouldn't have added the pineapple, I think it was fine the way it was.

Took a taste of this one yesterday (fermentation finished pretty quickly - go figure :cross:) and it was surprisingly good. Very malty for a very small beer and the hop character was really good. I may have stumbled on a new favorite session beer.

Back