WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys just found this post. I'm just starting out and went to this guy and he was not very helpful at all. I had to stand there and stare at him grinding his product until he finally asked me what I wanted. I tried to make a friendly conversation with him, to no avail. While waiting my wife finally said I'll wait in the car.

Hey guys just found this post. I'm just starting out and went to this guy and he was not very helpful at all. I had to stand there and stare at him grinding his product until he finally asked me what I wanted. I tried to make a friendly conversation with him, to no avail. While waiting my wife finally said I'll wait in the car.

Wow! She abandoned you flat!

It appears so. I know it was the same business, and the attitude appears to be the same, so perhaps even the same guy.

I hate to say it, but I've had worse experiences. I stopped by a place in Nashville and the owner was smoking in a a back room and the entire shop smelled like an ash tray. He finally came out from the back room and I asked him if he had a few items in stock and he flat out told me "we don't carry that stuff because no one buys it". Said items I was looking for was US05 yeast, muslin bags and a pound of DME. Any 'homebrew' shop that doesn't stock the basics has no reason to even be around.

I hate to say it, but I've had worse experiences. I stopped by a place in Nashville and the owner was smoking in a a back room and the entire shop smelled like an ash tray. He finally came out from the back room and I asked him if he had a few items in stock and he flat out told me "we don't carry that stuff because no one buys it". Said items I was looking for was US05 yeast, muslin bags and a pound of DME. Any 'homebrew' shop that doesn't stock the basics has no reason to even be around.

Hah, that's ridiculous. What's the name of the place? It sure as hell isn't Rebel Brewer (though theyre really located in Goodlettsville anyways).

Nah, Rebel is awesome. It was Lil Ole Winemaker on Charlotte Pike. It's 5 minutes from my house, so I figured it be useful for last minute essentials, but I was wrong.

I stopped at one of 3 LHBS to get an all grain recipe to BIAB. I asked the guy to crush it a little more fine to which he responded the owner won't let me touch the mill. I say ok no biggie, just run it through twice. His response was nope, owner won't let me do that either. I asked why and he just said Mr. XXXX's rule, no idea why. I should have turned around and walked out but really didn't feel like driving 30 minutes to another shop as I was brewing that day. Needless to say I haven't been back as the other two shops will crush as fine as I'd like.

It's hilarious to me that I discovered this post. I rarely have time to browse the posts here and don't know why I clicked on this one, but I have a lot of experience with this establishment....

These guys are truly pricks and it's amazing they are still in business!!!

(Thankfully, I just moved to Los Angeles and have found 2 great LHBS stores! So, I no longer rely on their "Customer NO SERVICE" approach)

Hearts has been in Orlando since I was an underage fan of beer in the late 80's. and they also sell beer - bought my first Newcastle from them when grocery stores only had the usual offerings....

I began homebrewing 7 years ago and, as the original post states, Hearts is the only supplier in town. So, I bought my original kit from them and my very first experience was pretty damn frustrating. They could not have been less interested in providing any guidance about ANYTHING, much less a friendly exchange of "whatcha planning to brew?".

The store was literally 5 minutes from my house. Their prices are, in fact, very competitive, and shipping liquid yeast to Orlando doesn't make sense if it's available 5 minutes away, so I ashamedly continued to patronize them, but ONLY FOR the ingredients as their selection of equipment leaves a lot to be desired. I let my fingers do the walking for hardware purchases immediately after my 1st purchase with them.

I had been telling my wife how bad they two owners are and she thought I was exaggerating. So, one day I took her into the shop with me and she was blown away by how rude and curt they are with their customers. And she was equally surprised they had so many customers given what I have told her and war she witnessed.

Someone in Orlando with solid business acumen could & should take a run at these guys. The thought crossed my mind several times but the schedule never allowed it.

I realize this is not the most profound or detailed "pile on" post but I felt compelled to share my story.

I am thrilled to no longer need these jerks in my brew life....

-Tim

I'll come into the LHBS store and see people literally just hanging out, talking beer, coming up with ideas with the owner, etc.

Never understood LHBS stores where the owner and employees are ****ty. It's like "why bother doing this in the first place?"

I've had an experience kind of similar to this at one of my LHBS's. I screwed up my first real batch of beer (actual first was a beer in a bag) and decided to go in and ask what I did wrong and see if I could correct it while picking up supplies for my next batch. I fully realized that I made a stupid mistake and that I should have done more research beforehand, but the owner told me I couldn't save it (which was true) and suggested that I go back to beer the beer in a bad kind of brewing.

Now every time I go back the guy is extremely condescending towards me. I've tried a few things, made a couple of pretty successful beers, but this guy refuses to think I may have improved.

It's a shame, the store has good products and selection and the rest of the staff at that store are great. So I still support other locations, and there is another LHBS store that I frequent more often who have been more helpful, but don't carry as much supplies.

I'm planning on entering some competitions this coming summer — I'll need something to beat his brews.

I think a lot of it boils down to these owners, who've brewed probably most of their lives, feel like they're geniuses of their trade, and that everyone else is just a *******. It's this sense of being better than everyone else simply because you may or may not be able to brew better beer, and own better supplies.

It's almost like a class system. "Oh you're an extract brewer. Your beer will be complete ****. I own my own shop and do all-grain perfectly. You're not even worth helping"

Driving from Melbourne to Macon, back in early 2010, I had a pretty good experience at Hearts. I explained my difficulties with my first two brews, particularly my mishandling siphoning a 60-minute IPA. Was directed to and bought a funnel with screen and a pail top opener [both still well appreciated tools]. They also had a surprisingly good craft brew selection at good prices. I thought I was treated politely. It might have helped that I'm a grey beard.

OTOH, neither SWMBO nor I believe Hearts could have passed a food health inspection.

Complain to the local BBB chapter in your area.

That won't get anything done. It's a homebrew store. Consider it a convenience store.

That guy doesn't give 2 craps about BBB certifications, seals, etc. You'd be amazed at how ineffective the BBB really is. I've had cable companies illegally bait-n-switch me, and called them on it with BBB, and the company refused to even answer me. Luckily I hadn't paid into anything when it happened, so I didn't lose anything.

Think about it -- when's the last time you went to order homebrew ingredients and actually checked out the BBB rating of the retailer? Never.

This is why other homebrew supply shops are popping up everywhere, it is getting more competitive due to price and support or lack of. My hbs in wichita has always been supportive and i try to suport them as much as i can but thier grain prices are killing me, so i buy grain from the other hbs that has no support. I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

I am from Orlando, went to his store 2 weeks ago and got similar treatment.

However, after talking with him I realized that he just gets tired of answering newbie questions. The guy has been in business for 30 years. Thats like 20 years before the internet and he was brewing at a time before most people even thought you could. He actually is no different than the OCD anal jerks on this very forum. He is the kind of person that knows the process but scorns newbies for asking dumb questions.

However, I work with difficult people, and after getting past the initial comments, I began to laugh and questioned his seriousness and irritibility. I even made him crack a smile because I was asking about how many times does he get customers come in who think they are experts.

All in all... it beats paying for shipping.

I know exactly what you mean by this. My LHBS is sort of like this, except way less bad. They can get irritated, but for the most part, will be helpful as long as you at least know a decent amount about brewing.

Talking about what you're brewing, how you're gonna brew it, interesting methodologies, etc, tends to help and spark discussion and usually will result in a positive experience. Prices are kinda **** though, but you can't beat fresh yeast and cheap bulk 2 row.

I am from Orlando, went to his store 2 weeks ago and got similar treatment.

However, after talking with him I realized that he just gets tired of answering newbie questions. The guy has been in business for 30 years. Thats like 20 years before the internet and he was brewing at a time before most people even thought you could. He actually is no different than the OCD anal jerks on this very forum. He is the kind of person that knows the process but scorns newbies for asking dumb questions.

However, I work with difficult people, and after getting past the initial comments, I began to laugh and questioned his seriousness and irritibility. I even made him crack a smile because I was asking about how many times does he get customers come in who think they are experts.

All in all... it beats paying for shipping.

Damn. I can't get left alone in my LHBSs. I walk in the door and it's, How can I help you?, You know what you want?, What'er you makin?, How? Ever try this?, Check this out...

this is an old post, but the service still sucks. sure, he's been brewing for 30 years, as 1 guy posted, but so what? he could have upsold me on an absurd amount of **** instead of just being a dismissive *******. he also could have just been mildly helpful and pleasant, that would have worked too.

Yeah, it's still an old post, but nothing has changed. Been brewing for 7 years, and even took a hiatus for a couple of years because there was no local option, and I didn't like the mail order process. Now there is an awesome place in Sanford that is just awesome! Nice, clean store, and the guys there are very helpful and friendly. Finally getting the kettle back out after finding these guys!! Happy brewer right here!!

I've been in to the store twice. It's obvious that the majority of his business comes from online. The times I've been in, he's been helpful, but this isn't the kind of place you go to chat.

He's always processing orders on the computer, so I've had to wait a few minutes until he finished. He quickly got me what I wanted and got me out the door.

The times I've been in, he's the only person working and I'm sure he's on a razor thin margin. That doesn't excuse him being a d&ck but I think we need to make a distinction between someone who is dishonest or sells faulty merchandise, and someone who just doesn't have time to chat.

well as long as we're back... I think new brewers have a great advantage over people that " have been brewing for 30 years" in the simple fact that these people get stuck in their ways. A new brewer is open to learn and i've noticed a lot of people that have been brewing for a while get very threatened when you want to tinker with something thats their set standard.

Thats what i've seen from my LHBS and others . .

I agree, this is the worst retail store I have ever stepped foot in. The guy working probably could of sold me a $200 kit for wine making. Instead he will never see a cent from me. I would never buy anything from this store because doing so would support this behavior. What a jerk!

I know this is an old post but is there a better business bureau in Florida you could report this guy to. I would also leave bad reviews on any site I could. I for one will not be ordering from his store and I would have been one of his online buyers. however because of this post I will make sure to never buy this site ever.

Try Urban Sunshine in Altamonte Springs [/URL]
They have multiple locations but the Altamonte location has a better selection. Helpful and friendly.

Thanks for the tip, I live in Leesburg and it is a pain to go down to Orlando when I need something.
:tank:

I live in Sanford n go to the one in downtown. I did stop into hearts the other day just to check it out. Same **** as everyone is saying. Not worth the time and I walked out. I'll never buy anything from that place. Place in sanford is great btw. The guys are wicked helpful and really care.

I know this is an old post but is there a better business bureau in Florida you could report this guy to. I would also leave bad reviews on any site I could. I for one will not be ordering from his store and I would have been one of his online buyers. however because of this post I will make sure to never buy this site ever.

Better Business Bureau? They guys may be ********, but nobody posted anything about dishonest business practices or scams.

Better Business Bureau? They guys may be ********, but nobody posted anything about dishonest business practices or scams.

Exactly, I've shopped there twice and the guy has dealt with me quickly and honestly. But, like I said before, it ain't the kind of place you go to chat. I can see if you wanted advice on brewing or whatever, the guy may seem brusque.

Now, if you really want a horrible experience in lhbs's you'd have to go about 20 miles south of me here in Daytona. I won't even mention the shop because they've got a habit of sicking lawyers on forums where they're mentioned.

I live in Sanford n go to the one in downtown. I did stop into hearts the other day just to check it out. Same **** as everyone is saying. Not worth the time and I walked out. I'll never buy anything from that place. Place in sanford is great btw. The guys are wicked helpful and really care.

It's been several weeks since I was in the Sanford shop. Nice store, seemed well stocked and the guy working it was helpful.

One thing that drove me nuts, and it may have changed by now, is that nothing had prices. I felt like an idiot saying "How much is this?" a dozen times as though I was at a flea market. But I didn't want to just grab a handful of stuff and get shocked at the cash register.

It's been several weeks since I was in the Sanford shop. Nice store, seemed well stocked and the guy working it was helpful.

One thing that drove me nuts, and it may have changed by now, is that nothing had prices. I felt like an idiot saying "How much is this?" a dozen times as though I was at a flea market. But I didn't want to just grab a handful of stuff and get shocked at the cash register.

Ya I Def agree. That's the only thing that bothers me too and it's kind of annoying but I figure I can just annoy them by asking 12 times and maybe they'll get the hint. Lol.

My local shop, barely anything in it, the guy acted like I was an idiot because I used a single fermentor.

I must get off flavors because I don't use a secondary. "Some people like those those off flavors"

I now drive 40 minutes to a real brew shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ya I Def agree. That's the only thing that bothers me too and it's kind of annoying but I figure I can just annoy them by asking 12 times and maybe they'll get the hint. Lol.

If a store doesn't label its prices, it means that they KNOW their prices are too high. If their prices were competitive, or even reasonable, they wouldn't be afraid to show them up-front.

If a store doesn't label its prices, it means that they KNOW their prices are too high. If their prices were competitive, or even reasonable, they wouldn't be afraid to show them up-front.

Ya I thought that too but everything is right on or lower than other places or even online. They're competitive and always answer all your questions to help u out. Def what a home brew shop should be.

It is evident you are juniors when it comes to a home brewing haberdashery that doesn't post prices. The owner can change prices at random, depending on the person on the other side of the counter. An old saying goes, "if you have to ask price, you can't afford it." Since, hombrewers are tight wads like golfers, some being so tight that if one hop pellet fell into the cats litter box, they'd dig it out and use it. The no pricing method opens the door for tight wad low balling negotiations. If you don't haggle with them you will lose their respect. They are quick to pick up on when a junior's world is centered around the keyboard. They become the cat playing with the mouse. They are naturals.

Back