Most versitile ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntingohio

Reaction score
Ok so I havent brewed much in the way of beer [only been at it for a couple years], i brew more wine and cider than anything. For my wines I have cut it down to 2 basic yeasts cot de blanc and d-47. I was wondering is there any ale yeast that is super versitile? I have nottingham laying around a few packages of generic muntons ale yeast. I have used some whitelabs products and wyeast. They seem to be kind of finicky

If it helps I plan to brew mostly irish red, and english pale ale, a porter, a stout, some graff, a couple smash brews, and a few experemental ales to test new [to me] grains and spices. No big beers or ipas.

I was leaning towards notty just due to habit but thought id get input first

For those those were I would say wlp004. I was going to say s-05 but that has more of an American flavor. (hops come through more, attenuates well) S-03 might be a consideration as well.

WLP002 or WLP007 would work great for all of those beers.

Ferment low (60-62) for the Irish Red to suppress esters, and around 65 for the rest.

Back