Dry hopping in mesh bag/marbles/bottom or on tp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangr419

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've brewed an IPA thats been in the primary for two weeks. I'm debating whether to dump my 1 oz of dry whole Simcoe hops into the fermenter or to place the hops into a mesh brew bag with sanitized marbles (as I've read works pretty well) into the carboy.
I'd like to know what technique you all have found to be more effective primary top dry hopping vs secondary mesh bag bottom?

Also how long do you think I should leave them in the fermenter/carboy? I've heard more than a week can impart grassy/vegetal flavors which I def don't want. Thanks!

I've brewed an IPA thats been in the primary for two weeks. I'm debating whether to dump my 1 oz of dry whole Simcoe hops into the fermenter or to place the hops into a mesh brew bag with sanitized marbles (as I've read works pretty well) into the carboy.
I'd like to know what technique you all have found to be more effective primary top dry hopping vs secondary mesh bag bottom?

Also how long do you think I should leave them in the fermenter/carboy? I've heard more than a week can impart grassy/vegetal flavors which I def don't want. Thanks!

I never use a bag, but as long as they are "loose" in the bag, a bag is fine. The beer permeates the hops, so there isn't any need to weigh the bag down, but I know some people do.

I never had any luck getting a hops bag in, or out, of a carboy. I just drop them in. I'm pretty proficient with racking, and never have any trouble.

I dryhop for 3-7 days, with 5 being my preferred length of time for freshest hops flavor.

If you use a weighted bag, you need to gently slide the bag down the side of your fermenter or you could ruin your beer.

most seem to recommend whole leaf hops loose in the carboy and let them settle before siphoning off.

If you DH with loose pellets, will they settle and clear in a week? or should pellets always go in a bag?

most seem to recommend whole leaf hops loose in the carboy and let them settle before siphoning off.

If you DH with loose pellets, will they settle and clear in a week? or should pellets always go in a bag?

Don't expect a crystal clear beer when dry hopping. It's acceptable for the hop matter to make the beer a tiny bit hazy. As for whole vs pellet, I think it's a matter of preference. You can use a bag or not. That's also a matter of preference.

Back