BeerTools Pro or Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using BeerTools Pro my 21 days is almost up with Beersmith and I wanted some feedback about BeerTools before I purchase one of them.

Thank you,

:cross:

I don't mind yapping it up again on this one. I bought BTP and regretted it for a while until I learned to use it. The problem is, it doesn't quite do all that beersmith does. If you've used beersmith for a while, you're going to find BTP to be counterintuitive. They're both cheap enough IMHO that you can buy both and play with them but if I had to choose, I'd go with Beersmith because it's more intuitive.

I love Beersmith as well. It could do things better and has some very wierd errors in it, but nothing I can't live with. I should submit them, as submitting bug fix requests is what I do in my day job, but I just don't feel like fighting the system at home after doing it all day.

If you want something to calc recipes and keep track of your inventory and what you brewed, it's pretty cool.

I personally would like to see it do more, and if BTP doesn't do all Beersmith does, then it probably isn't worth it.

I have Beersmith and it recently upgraded at no extra cost. As with all software, there's always a need to tweak and upgrade so that the consumer will stay with that product. I like Beersmith and recommend it, only because of the price and ease of use. Even if you already know what you're doing it's helpful to use.

Thank you I think that is what I needed to spend the $$ on Beersmith. Sorry about not searching still new to this site

I have BTP and like it, but I haven't used anything else to make an accurate comparison. Since I am only doing extract batches right now, BTP is fairly simple. Not sure how easy it is for AG.

McKBrew said:
I have BTP and like it, but I haven't used anything else to make an accurate comparison. Since I am only doing extract batches right now, BTP is fairly simple. Not sure how easy it is for AG.

Once you figure out the schedule aspect of BTP, I think it's rather simple. I think that once you get yourself acclimated to one of the major three, recipe & brew days calcs are pretty easy with each. With the proposed changes coming in the new version of BTP, the session and inventory features should be comparable.

What would be nice would be to have a common export/import format between all three so recipes could be easily exchanged no matter which package you run.

OMG!:eek: I just looked at BeerSmith and the interface looks just like Goldmine!

I began with QBrew, then went to ProMash when I went AG on Dude's recommendation. And I've been very happy with Promash. But lately I've been thinking of switching over to something else and Beersmith looks like it's pretty user friendly. Moreso than ProMash. The PITA will be converting all my recipes over.

I still prefer ProMash. I have BS and BT as well, but I just can't get the hang of them and since I can get around ProMash so easily I figure why worry. I think you just pick one and hang with it. It isn't going to do your brewing for you, so it only needs to help you write and record the recipes and brews. They all do that well IMHO.

Brewpastor said:
I still prefer ProMash. I have BS and BT as well, but I just can't get the hang of them and since I can get around ProMash so easily I figure why worry. I think you just pick one and hang with it. It isn't going to do your brewing for you, so it only needs to help you write and record the recipes and brews. They all do that well IMHO.
Well said.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the Beersmith website. I have tried to access it several times over the last few weeks and it doesn't work. I want to get the demo, but I can't find it anywhere else. It is shareware, so you think someone else might offer it on another site. I have the demo for ProMash and its ok...but it seems that BS is the way to go. Want to try it..I don't understand whats going on with beersmith.com

I rely on BeerSmith to help me formulate recipes and then I export to Word and then copy to Excel.

Add on my hops/grain ratio chart and I’ve a hard copy record for my…uh…records.

SpreadsheetSnapSHot.jpg

I went to google and it comes up. I guess this is the only site on the internet that I cannot access for some reason that I dont know. Ive checked my security settings. WFM!

+1 for Beersmith! I was using promash and hated it. I just downloaded the BS 1.4 trial and though it took me a while to figure out the mash profiles, the program is simple, intuitive, and really cut-and-dry. I like the "brewsheet", which is awesome if you're away from your PC, or if you've had one too many. ;) BTP looks pretty good, I really like the GUI, but it will probably be a while before they come up with something I can easily use.

Back