chloramine removal ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boalpd

Reaction score
I've recently moved to an area that uses chloramine in the city water supply. How do I remove it from the water?

Thanks,
Phil

I know you can boil off chlorine, but not chloramine. There was some talk on the board a while ago about using Campden tablets (1 per ten gallons of water I think) to get rid of it, but I'm not sure about that. If I had that problem, I might just buy some spring water at the store and avoid the issue.

I have chloramine in my tap water and use Campden to treat it. I haven't had any chlorophenol off flavors in my beer.

I have chloramine in my tap water (2.8ppm) and I have NOT used campden to treat it. I do NOT have any chlorophenol off flavors in my beer.

DC pumps chloramine (3.5 ppm) in their water and I don't do anyhting special. They also jack up the pH so they don't get lead in their water, but that's a different story.

When the water suppliers here started using cloramine in the water supply, we asked them about it, because SWMBO does not like to wash her hair with clorinated water.(?) So I got a water filter to remove the cloramine per the direction of the water dept. It's a filter that contains "clorgon" (?) Anyway, i was having clorine taste in my beer also, so i got a 10 in clorgon filter for the brewery. Lasts about a year here. Campden tabs work too. They need to be put in before the boil with any other water adjustments you do. ...:)

I don't know how much we have in the water here, but if you fill a white 5 gallon bucket with tapwater you can see it has a blue-green tint to it.

Buford said:
I don't know how much we have in the water here, but if you fill a white 5 gallon bucket with tapwater you can see it has a blue-green tint to it.

WFT?! Algae or copper pipes? That's weird stuff!

We have that issue here in northern MD as well, and I've found that just adding a faucet mounted water filter increased the quality of my beer 10 fold.

I may try campden tabs next just to see if it improves further.

Buford said:
You know I've noticed that in my tap water. I get an almost glowing blue color in a white bucket once I hit about 2 gallons. I've always wondered what it was from. Maybe I'll have to give the campden a try.

Brewing Clamper said:
WFT?! Algae or copper pipes? That's weird stuff!

I think it's the chloramine in it. Chloramine will give water a greenish tint. Chlorine imparts a swimming pool blue.

Gentlemen,

I asked the water co. here
{which does put clorimine in the water}
about getting rid of it,
and they said it can't be boiled out or strained out.
I decided to just use bottled water.
At .50 a gallon it is easy.

But what is this 'Campden' stuff?
First time I have heard of it.

J. Knife

Campden tablets are sodium or potassium metabisulfite. It's used to kill off wild yeasts in must when wine or cider making, but it can also be used in a lesser quantity to treat water to remove free chlorine.

ScubaSteve said:
I've heard that carbon filters run slowly can remove them...

The effectivness of carbon filters differs from filter to filter. Make sure you read the package to see what % of chloramine it removes because all carbon filter are not created equal.

Back