Was given two corny kegs yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
for free. :ban::rockin:

They are Coke kegs, but one of them doesn't have a pressure relief valve on it. The second one does, but it seems to be broken. I've attached a picture of them. Is the valve necessary?

(removed picture)

I have all pin lock cornies. the pressure relief valves are built in to my lids. I have seen some lids with pressure relief valves installed. I say seal it up and put pressure on it to see if it seals properly.

When u say "broken" what does that imply? Re-post pics or email to me at: [email protected]

They both seem to seal and hold pressure fine. Did the picture not come through? I can repost.

apparently Imageshack and you don't get along.
All the pinlock kegs I have just have an automatic relief valve, there isn't a pressure relief valve that you can release pressure with.

Lets try this again. One lid doesn't have a valve at all. This is the other one.

5wzhnc.jpg

That doesn't look quiet the same as my lids. I'll get a pic and post it for you to compare.

That's what I'm thinking. It seems like the "pull" pin is missing. Will that hurt it?

Here;s mine I actually just broke down all my cornies today and cleaned and sanitized them. These lids are drying on my fermentation fridge.

CIMG6989.jpg

CIMG6990.jpg

Mine look like SOB's. I haven't any pins or parts to mine. It appears someone cut the top part off on yours for some reason.

No threads. It seems to be press fitted into place. Let me take another picture.

The inside of that piece should be threaded. If not, you can get new lids for the kegs and deal with it sometime later.

On edit, it appears its plugged. So you are fine. I would make sure they hold pressure and use them as they were meant to be. To release pressure, use a pin on the poppit of the gas in.

Well, it looks like it could be an older style corny lid or one that was modified for some reason. I say if it holds pressure, than by all means use it. It really doesn't matter what it looks like. None of my lids have a pull ring pressure relief valve. I use a screw driver or some other pointy object to release the pressure from the gas side pin lock valve.
FYI...if this is your first corny then make sure to check the liquid pick up tube. They can get major build up inside them like an artery with lots of plaque!

They both hold pressure as I had to release it to get the lids off. I used a phillips head screwdriver to do it. How do I check the pickup tubes?

They both hold pressure as I had to release it to get the lids off. I used a phillips head screwdriver to do it. How do I check the pickup tubes?

Unscrw the posts and remove the tubes. They should slide out and have an o-ring between them and the seat. I would recommend getting new o-ring kits. O-rings can hold the flavors of the sodas that once were in the kegs. The kits are cheap and include the o-rings for the lid, dip tubes and posts. Approx $3 at most suppliers or you could buy in bulk if you want...

Remove the valve with an adjustable wrench or one of these: see image below from Austin Homebrew Supply

I made a pin lock removal tool with a socket from Home Depot and a dremel. Works great for those stubborn valves that seem like they are welded shut! Remove the dip tube and hold up to a light source. You will be able to see very easily if it has gunk build up inside. I use a cotton swab and a rifle barrel cleaning rod to get the gunk out. Give it a soak in some oxiclean before you run the swab through it. the oxiclean will loosen up the gunk so the inside will come clean easier.

Pin-Lock-Removal-tool-th.jpg

Back