need recipe directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,
Being new to brewing, i need some step by step directions on how to brew the ingredients my wife got in town from the home brew store. We live a ways out of town, but the guy at the hbs said i could phone him and get directions, but i would rather have something i could look at to refer back to. I told him i wanted a strong IPA, so these are the ingredients he sent back with my wife.

3.5 KG LME Briess Light
0.5 KG LME Briess Weisen
0.5 KG LME Wheat
1 oz Domestic Glacier Hop Pellets
1 oz US Magnum Hop Pellets (Alpha 13.1--Beta 5.3)
1 oz Summit Hop Pellets (Alpha 17.6--Beta 5.4)
1 oz Amarillo Hops (9.3 AA)
11 gr Nottingham Ale Yeast

He did send along some instructions, but being a newb, they seem a little confusing. So, could there be some step by step instructions out there to help me along, as to:
1: Is this for a five gallon batch:
2: How much water do i start boiling with
3: At what times do I add the hops etc?
4: Whats this baby gonna taste like?
5: Should the hops be put in cheesecloth, or put in whole?
The recipe he gave me also calls for 1 cup of Wildflower Honey to be added with 2 min left in boil. I just have pure unpasteurized honey
Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Lester

Seems like 5 gal recipe. Your water will depend on Pot size, evap rate and such. I started with a 5 gal brew pot and started 3.5 gallons boiling, added extract, and got to hot break, after boil I added water to hit 5.5 gallons. Usually another 2.5. Hop times are not set in stone. More bitter at the beginning of the boil, 20 minutes flavor peaks, 12-15 aroma peaks. Find out what your hops to, and set it to a schedule. Alot of people do 60,30,15,0. I like bitter and flavor, so more at the 20min mark for me with some at the 60min. Also, you can do 1/2oz additions and spread them out more. My IPA's have much more hops, if you like bitter, start with the high alpha summit early in the boil. Honey should be fine.

Biggest thing is stay sanitized, everything that touches it after the boil need to be sanitized.

If your pot is big enough, have all water in there, remember, it will boil so plan on evaporation. After adding extract, before rolling boil is hot break, this is where your wort can boil over and make a big mess, lower heat to reduce bubbles, then higher, reduce, higher until you have rolling boiling. At that point, start your timer. I like 60 min boil, so add 60 min hops, the 30 min ect. After boil it is important to cool the wort quickly a bathtub full of ice water will help. Put the cooled wort into fermenter, add yeast when wort is about 70 degrees or so for that yeast, then airlock and let sit between 65-70degrees for a two weeks.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick reply. All i have for a primary fermenter is a 10 gallon plastic bucket with lid, no airlock. I have used it before with the Brewhouse Kits. Would that be ok for my primary? I also have a 23 litre carboy, and (3) 5 gallon carboys

Thanks again
Lester

Back