Got Beer Kit For Christmas...Few Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone!

I got an AHS Coconut Porter Extract kit for X-Mas and had a few questions since it has sitting in the box in which it was ordered for over a month now.

1) It came with liquid yeast that needed to be refrigerated, but has been stored at room temp since mid-November. I am simply assuming it needs to be replaced correct? I placed it in the fridge this morning, just in case, but I assume it's not worth using to brew with.

2)The Amber Malt Extract came in a white tub, not sealed like a can, this is still good to use after 6 weeks correct? It was stored in the same conditions. I assume it is good, I just know the fresher the better and really want to avoid any off taste.

This will be my 3rd batch brewed and am really aiming to have it be the best ,since the 1st two didn't turn near as good as I wanted. The wort chiller I got today should help as well. Thanks for the help.

1) Get new yeast, even just a pack of US-05. Better safe than frustrated.

2) Liquid extract should be fine in a plastic tub, that's how it comes at my LHBS.

3) Merry Christmas!!!

You might check the Mr. Malty site for pitch rate in case you need two packs of yeast...and get a couple packs of dry Safale for those times when you wish you had some dry yeast handy.

Dude, if it's a smack pack or even a vial of white labs, why don't you "Proof" the yeast and find out if it's still viable...My guess is that the yeast is fine...and a good opportunity to grow up a starter...but, it IS always a good idea to have a nice selection of dry yeast sitting around for those random brew moments and to repitch in a pinch....

If it's an Austin Homebrew branded kit, you are most likely good to go with the kit as is. Follow the instructions and try to keep the fermentation temperature low (not higher than 70 degrees). There are lots of ways to do that, but in Ohio in the winter, it shouldn't be too hard.

L

I would get a new yeast and make a starter anyway, other than that it should be fine. I have used malt the was months out of date.

I would get a new yeast and make a starter anyway, other than that it should be fine. I have used malt the was months out of date.

Starter shouldn't be necessary if it's a dry yeast. Not that the OP said he (she?) would be using dry. . . .

Starter shouldn't be necessary if it's a dry yeast. Not that the OP said he (she?) would be using dry. . . .

Not planning on using dry yeast for this one. I just called the local home brew store and they did not have the White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP 002) in stock.

Which of these would make the best replacement:

WLP 013
WLP 004
WLP 007
WLP 013
WLP 041

The local shop said 041 may actually be a step up from the 002 (English Yeast) that was included. I am not to familiar with the effects of which yeast to include so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back