Fig beer ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
i was just thinking about weird beers the other day and was like ive never seen a beer made with figs and i have a huge fig tree so has anyone ever seen or made a fig beer? i mean i dunno if it would be good lol but you know.

Hmmm... You need to try this as I'm thinking a fig brown ale might actually be good and a new twist on a fruit beer.

indeed, next spring ill have to try making a fig beer with what i can muster and use some homegrown hops :)

I read somewhere where a guy carmelizes the figs in a wok, then deglazes the pan with a bit of the beer from the primary, then adds them to the secondary after they cool. Sounds good.

I've been thinking about doing some kind of fig-red-wine reduction sauce and adding that to a secondary in a rich belgian or saison, something with interesting yeast complexity. Would probably do well to balance that with a touch of pepper or peppery yeast. Maybe like a single smoked ancho chile.

Brasserie de Blaugies (Blaugies, Belgium) makes a beer brewed with fig juice called Bière Darbyste . Sadly, I haven't tried it, but two of the other beers they make, La Moneuse and Saison dEpeautre, are excellent saisons.

Once i brewed belgian dubbel with 20 oz dried figs. When young the beer has some wine-like flavour, but this faded later. I'll definitely brew this again next summer.

I had a figgy kolsch at my homebrew meeting last night. I'd say 70% of the people there hated it, but those of us that liked it friggin loved it. I've brewed a lot of fruit beers where the flavor didn't come out but this beer tasted exactly liked figs.

I have several fig trees that are usually brimming with fruit come august.
I was planning on making an Amber Wheat/weizen with them next month but I've never made an amber before so I'm a little stuck on what to use grain-wise.
I do know I will probably be carmelizing them with some (maybe 0.5 lbs) of brown sugar and maybe some cinnamon.

no i havent tried making a fig brew yet but i hope to this year , think ill make a lighter ale with some wheat and a clean yeast to help bring out the fig flavor , might have it in time for the sam adams longshot homebrew contest lol.

Weird I just made a post about a fig beer I heard about. Here is the post
Was at an event at the brew shop and a guy was telling me about a beer he saw in BYO that was a belgium quad with fig and anise, first stage fermentation was a belgium yeast, second fermentation was a brett. He aged it for a year and said it came out super. I think i want to give this a whirl. Did not see the grain bill on BYO anyone heard of this beer or have made it before. Looks super interesting.

We had figs and habanero peppers in the garden... Figanero beer was born. Used a recipe for Dunkleweiss and then added 5 lbs of figs and 3 habaneros (deseeded) that I had pan roasted and then pureed in a vitamix before adding to the last 20 mins of boil. Then I diced 4 habaneros and covered them in vodka to extract flavor, in a covered small bowl. Let that sit while the other was fermenting (2 weeks) and added the habaneros and liquid 3 days before bottling day...

Very good beer. Fig adds a lot of complexity. Habaneros were enough to get some spice but not get knocked over. Next time I would put the fig mixture in cheese cloth, so it was strained instead of in the brew for the 2 week span. Almost 1/3 of carboy was trub because of all the fig bits but my goodness, what a great beer.

+1 to darker begian styles or maybe a big stout or barleywine, those flavors seem to meld well and I swear sometimes I taste fig in those styles

Back