First Attempt at Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
after sterilizing all my equipment i mixed:
3 cans (11.5 oz each) of Welch's 100% Concord Grape Concentrate
6 cans (11.5 oz each) of water
1/2 cup of sugar
i packet of Lalvin K1V-1116 Yeast

Has anyone tried this conentration of ingriedents, i have seen alot of people using 2 cans of concentrate and lots more sugar.

If you want a wine with a nice abv, 11-15% is what most wines are you will need more sugar. Did you take a gravity reading? If not my absolute guess would be 2-3 LB sugar more. I just did a welches wine using bottles of juice and my gravity was 1.100 with 2 LB sugar and ended at .996. which comes out to be 10.4% abv. I would like to push my wines to 12-15% next time.

so you are saying to add atleast 4 more cups of sugar, does that seem like a lot for a one gallon yield?

unfortunatley i did no take a gravity reading, i just followed the recipie i found online. however i learned a lesson on gravity readings.

If you want a wine with a nice abv, 11-15% is what most wines are you will need more sugar. Did you take a gravity reading? If not my absolute guess would be 2-3 LB sugar more. I just did a welches wine using bottles of juice and my gravity was 1.100 with 2 LB sugar and ended at .996. which comes out to be 10.4% abv. I would like to push my wines to 12-15% next time.

If you started at 1.100 and ended at .996 then your ABV is 13.6%. I wouldn't add any more sugar next time.

Back