Garage Sale Find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeDelta1

Reaction score
Stopped by a garage sale today after I dropped my daughter off at school and these were sitting there. 18 bottles only one of them a green bottle the rest are from Germany in the early 80s. The best part was the milk crate thing that holds 16 of them perfectly. All for $7.00 they were asking $10.00. I keg but I couldn't pass them up. Tell me about any cool brewing related garage sale finds you have come accross.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62288477@N05/5670058118/

Nice. I picked a case of altenmunster flip-tops for $10 a few months ago. It's so nice not having to cap.

so far the best deal I got at a garage sale were two cases of empty Fat Tire bottles for free! I am prowling for carboys, bottles and maybe a water cooler for a back up mash tun.

I brag about my garage sale find to anyone who'll listen. I got the following:
2- Bucket Fermenters w/ lids
1- Bottling bucket
2- 5 Gallon Carboys w/ carrying straps
36 qt SS Brew Pot w/ lid
90 bottle drying tree
2- hydrometers
3- Thermometers
24 22oz bottles w/ 100+ caps
An auto siphon
A bench capper
2 bottling wands.
Wort chiller

All for $100. It was his asking price and I didn't have the heart to try to haggle him down. I know I'm forgetting a couple of things too. I found it on a Craig's List garage sale announcement. I've kept a Craig's List tab open on my browser ever since.

I like the fliptops as much as the next guy, but honestly, capping is no harder than shutting a flip-top. They make great gift bottles though.

it's true.. capping isn't all that difficult, but since I don't normally bottle I sometimes don't have caps laying around. It's nice to just grab a couple liter flip tops, fill em up and head over to a bbq or whatever - the downside is of course that I then have to keep an eye on my flip-tops, whereas a regular bottle I'd just leave there.

I got a call from my mom eariler this morning and she was out with my sister looking for some furniture for her new apartment. She knows I brew and found 2 6-gallon carboys for 10 bucks each! Gotta love your mom!

I once found a 2/3 filled propane tank for $20...not a steal but not bad.

Yea, those German plastic 'cases' are nice. A loooong time ago I talked a buddy into stashing one into the trunk of his car as he shipped back from Germany. They stack, hold 20 half liters, and totally turn US ideas about recycling on its head. Too bad he didn't bring two like I asked him to fill out a 5 gallon batch.

Seems like if a brew store could find a source for those plastic crates there would be plenty of buyers. I have a fair amount of storage space for my brewing gear but none of it stacks very well. I've been trying to find some kind of "right sized" box for my grain crushed it is always in the way.

I have 20 of those plastic cases in my brewing spaces. If you buy a case of bottles thats what they come in. However the PET bottles are really pushing out the glass.

I'm thinking of giving the bottles over to another homebrewer and shipping the plastic crates back with me....

Not a garage sale, but a Craigslist score on bottles. A whole brewing set up (plastic bucket, siphon, airlocks, 1 six gallon glass carboy, etc), but really wet for the 4 X 24 cases of flip tops. All for $75. And when I got there, he found another 24 flip tops, and threw them in. 120 EZ Cap flip tops plus other stuff for $75.

Now that I mainly keg, I have these sitting around, plus another 20 new ones that I bought with my first kit. Should really think of something to do with them.

I have 20 of those plastic cases in my brewing spaces.

I've got ten of them filled with flip-tops; they are quite nice!

You can make out 8 of them in the pic below:

brewery_4.JPG

My wife just called me to let me know she got an older 7up fountain machine with 4 ball lock kegs, 10# co2 tank, and regulator for $35!!! Anybody want an old fountain pop machine without kegs or co2???? LOL

Back