Yeast Washing - Can yeast fall to the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I've washed yeast a few times before and things went well.

In all those times the yeast (mostly) deposited themselves above the trub after shaking the container. This time the yeast are falling to the bottom of the canning jar and the trub is in top. What's up with that?

[Although, if true, this will make life easier as it will be easier to pour off the trub]

The way I do yeast washing (and the way the sticky thread by Bernie describes it) is wait until some of the trub drops out first but not too long, so much of the yeast is still suspended. Pour off the liquid with the suspended yeast, repeat.

I had this happen to my pilsner batch, i was washig yeast in carboy, swirled good, let it sit for 20 min and for some reason yeast layer was at very bottom, i transfered to a jar, swirled again, waited and...same results, yeast settles below trub, i said screw it and left it as is in a fridge. I never seen thar happen to ale yeast, kolsch is one of the best for washing, its stays in suspension forever

I recently had the same thing happen to me doing the washing technique described in the sticky. However, I left the suspension in the refrigerator overnight and discovered that the yeast had settled right on top of the trub (middle) in a very small layer. So I figured I should reshake and in a sense redo the settling technique so I wouldn't accidentally pour the bottom trub layer into my clean jar. Upon doing this, the yeast settled right to the bottom in a thick sticky layer.

If you're using a highly flocculant yeast like WLP002 (and I assume the London ale is similar) you will find it's very difficult to wash because it will settle out with the trub almost right away.

Latest posts

Back