Will unfermented wort go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
How long can wort survive without being pitched to? Given that everything is sanitary and it's got an airlock on... My lager is coming up on nearly a week and no sign of activity. Since I have another lager in the fridge, I was thinking of just pulling it out(the lager) and just pitching some WLP001 and fermenting it that way, but I wanted to know if it's even worth it...

thats a tough call.....

Just remember that we sanitize, we dont sterilize. I would pitch something ASAP

You have a lot more experience than me, but even if everything is sanitary, the air has bacteria and wild yeast, so some of that will probably be in the wort anyway...I think thats the reason we chill the wort as quickly as possible...to pitch the yeast quickly before any bacteria or other wild yeast has a chance to get a foothold in the wort.

I've never done a lager, but I think a whole week with no activity at all is cause for concern.

Well, since I don't want to mess up the Oktoberfest's schedule, I'm gonna pull out the pilsener out and pitch a starter of WLP001 that I just made. I'll probably pitch tomorrow after I see some activity in the starter. Just shy of a week. I hope it's not too late... bummer...

I do know failing to clean out the mash tun for four days is a serious mistake.:eek:

[where's the barfing emocon?]

david_42 said:
[where's the barfing emocon?]

;)

vomit.jpg

Thanks for that Chimone. It made the burrito I'm eating seem SOOOO much more appetizing! :D

If you have any available I would get some saflager S-23(I think), dry lager yeast and pitch that. It will probably take right off. I definetly wouldn't throw it out unless you are sure it is bad

Back