Re-using steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBman

Reaction score
Has anyone re-used their grains? I just made a 5 gallon batch and had a couple of odd and end ingredients lying around I figured I could toss them in to a 2.5 gallon batch and then re-use the leftover grains I steeped in the previous batch. It cant hurt right? Just give off a bit of flavor I'm guessing.
Has anyone ever done it?
Im just kind of doing it to see what happens using left overs...

You can probably reuse them, but you won't get much out of them. I'd just toss them or make dog cookies with it.

You've taken most of the soluble good stuff out in the first steep. I make a quick bread with them. Basically, take a corn bread recipe and substitute your spent grains for the corn meal. Tastes great!

That is a great idea, I never knew you could use spent grains like that. I steeped them anyway, if anything it seems to add a bit of color to the brew. Next time I will definitely make some corn bread.

I always see the outcome of those breads and they look awesome. Funny, I've been brewing with my Bro-in-Law who loves to cook. Definitely going to bring it up since we have gone back to extract w/grain and partial mashes.

Glad I clicked on this post.

If you make that bread, just remember to add the grains last - after the flour etc., and all the liquid ingredients have been mixed in. Otherwise you'll get hundreds of little flourballs when you introduce the damp grains into the flour mixture.

The bread comes out with a different flavor and color every time, depending on what grains you used.

1 c flour
1 c spent steeping grains
1/2 c sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 c oil
1 c milk
Bake at 400F

I realize I'm reviving an old thread here, but I'm surprised more people haven't tried making small-beer from spent-grains. After all, the practice has a history to it.
DaBman, that 2.5gal batch from a 5gal mash sounds like a great idea. Did you try it? How did it come out?

I found one brewery that makes a 'small-beer' by re-sparging the mash from their barleywine style ale: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/smallbeer.htm .

I hate wasting stuff, and as an apartment-dweller I don't have a yard.

Not really the same thing... the OP is talking about extract and re-using the steeping grains. It's more like re-using a tea bag for a second cup. That probably works, but you're only talking about a couple dollars worth of grain.

The anchor small beer is a parti-gyle brew, basically first runnings are used for a big beer and second runnings are used for a smaller beer. Most of us are already doing at least one sparge that goes into the main beer, so the second runnings are already going into the main beer.

Some times I just take a handful of the spent grain and eat them...pretty good eats if you ask me, and good for you too...low carb..

OK, I get you now. Sorry - still a newbie. So what you're saying is that generally grains are sparged twice and after that discarded - because any further sparging would get almost nothing out of it - and if you're making a kit, get new grains.

Yesterday I made a partial-grain kit. According to the ingredients, the grains were only steeped once, so I put them aside and steeped them again to make an extra 2.5 gal batch just from the grain (thanks DaBman) to see what would happen. The OG was 1.032, which doesn't seem too bad.
I messed up the first sparge by going up to 190F, but I think I'm ready to make the move to AG brewing - its way more fun with the grains.

And you're right, Kay, they do taste quite good on their own! I wonder if you could make something like rice-crispy treats out of them.

Back