Iodine Starch test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I wanted to try the Iodine Starch conversion test. I bought Iodine Tincture 2% U.S.P. (first aid antiseptic) from the local pharmacy.

Never really got it to work. Even prior to sparging, the color stayed the same. Am I using the wrong stuff?:drunk:

If it stays the same color, you are fine. It turns black/purple in the presence of unconverted starch.

Next time try it on some mash liquid right after you dough in. Then you'll see it turn purple.

I tried the test about 30 mins in to the mash, and the color already had not changed. I was wondering if the 2% U.S.P. was not enough iodine to make the test work.
Looks like some others are just using the cleaning solution iodophor...is that correct?

I tried the test about 30 mins in to the mash, and the color already had not changed. I was wondering if the 2% U.S.P. was not enough iodine to make the test work.
Looks like some others are just using the cleaning solution iodophor...is that correct?

With the highly converted malt these days, conversion after 30 minutes is pretty common. I would test it at the beginning of the mash.

I wanted to try the Iodine Starch conversion test. I bought Iodine Tincture 2% U.S.P. (first aid antiseptic) from the local pharmacy.
Never really got it to work. Even prior to sparging, the color stayed the same.
Here is a sample of the most common test.
Put wort and Iodine into one cavity each as a control sample.
Put wort into one more cavity and add a drop of Iodine and watch the reaction and compare to the original color of the Iodine/wort.

Iodine_Test-1.jpg

A much better method is the chalk or Kaiser method I use.
IodineTest_02-1.jpg

IodineTest_03-1.jpg

Yes

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I bought Iodine Tincture 2% U.S.P. (first aid antiseptic) from the local pharmacy.
:

I probably have the exact same little brown bottle w/ tan label that you have (from walgreens) and yes, it will turn purple in the presence of starch.

Mine saved my butt on a largely wheat batch that wouldn't convert after an hour. Took 90 mins.

Never really got it to work. Even prior to sparging, the color stayed the same. Am I using the wrong stuff?:drunk:

I just saw this now and wonderd if the OP ever go any results? I have also tried and failed but i used the "colorless/clear" iodine ticture and that does not work!! went for the "normal" one (brown'ish/yellow) and it works like a charm!!

Thanks for the input. I did fine with the Walgreens bottle, but found it just as easy and much cheaper to use Iodophor which I already had for sanitation. both worked good-

Back