I love S-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
With all my fancy schmancy brewing I've been doing lately I have been relying on harvested and cultivated yeasts mainly and at least WLP yeasts with big starters.

Yesterday I did an IPA and just pitched a dry packet of 05 into the carboy after aeration. Wake up this morning and the carboy is pretty much ready for a blowoff tube. And I like the taste of 05 beers too. Nice and clean and dependent upon the high quality of the ingredients to make a good finished product.

Man does that air coming out of the airlock smell great! It is hop heaven. 5 oz so far with another 1.5 oz going in on secondary. My whole kitchen smells like a combo of citrus and pine and x'mas and . . .well. . . victory.

Yeah, 05 or 04 are my standard "go to" yeasties for 95% of my brewing. It's clean, takes off fast and you really don't need to worry about rehydrating it.

It's also gluten free for you gluten free brewers (grown on molasses rather than barley.)

Not to mention it's dirt cheap....I pick up a pack or two every time I go to the lhbs and leave it in the fridge.

Unless I'm trying to get a flavor profile from from yeast (like in Belgians) I just use these...

Hey that's good to know.

I was going to use Windsor but was only able to get 05. I pitched 22g
rehydrated on my first 5 gallon batch for a Pale Ale and after 2 days I
have about 4+ inches of krausen and my carboy is churning and bubbling
at 62f. Fermentation started within 12 hours.

And my closet smells like glorious hops!

Good stuff, used a pack Sunday.

Aerate, rehydrate and it will be bubbling away in a hour. Nice, clean taste for an ale, too.

Right now I really can't afford liquid yeast (8.99 @ lhbs). I love o5. It does start quick and my beers come out very clean tasting. Also, if you read the temp range for this strain, it is pretty forgiving. I think it's like 59 to 75 F. I ferment most beer at about 67 and they come out great.

I just used a Nottingham, and after 2 weeks in the primary I still have these tiny brownish floaters that just won't give up and die.

I used S04 in a pumpkin ale I made and it was crystal clear after just 2 weeks in the primary...I will be using this yeast for just about everything I make in the future

I just used a Nottingham, and after 2 weeks in the primary I still have these tiny brownish floaters that just won't give up and die.

Notty is a champ too! Despite your stubborn ferment. (Too cold maybe?) It adds a nice British Isles touch.

Yeah, 05 or 04 are my standard "go to" yeasties for 95% of my brewing. It's clean, takes off fast and you really don't need to worry about rehydrating it.

It's also gluten free for you gluten free brewers (grown on molasses rather than barley.)

Not to mention it's dirt cheap....I pick up a pack or two every time I go to the lhbs and leave it in the fridge.

Unless I'm trying to get a flavor profile from from yeast (like in Belgians) I just use these...

Did not know about the gluten free part. (Don't really know gluten -free in general, don't care to.)

I have forced lately to go liquid because my last four batches have been Belgians. My next two will be as well. I enjoyed this break.

My three favorite yeasts:
1) S-05
2) S-04
3) Nottingham

Nottingham can ferment fairly cold (60 F), so if I want a really really clean ale I'll go with notty. If I want a moderately/normal clean ale I go with S-05. For anything british, it's S-04 for me.

Speaking of dry yeasts, I really want to try Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 but I can't find it at the LHBS. Anyone tried it or know where I can get it?

I'm assuming you don't want to order online?

I found a dozen places on the first 2 pages of
a google search selling Fermentis Saflager W-34/70

I'm assuming you don't want to order online?

I found a dozen places on the first 2 pages of
a google search selling Fermentis Saflager W-34/70

huh. I looked maybe two weeks ago at some online places and didn't see it. Thanks.

Hey that's good to know.

I was going to use Windsor but was only able to get 05. I pitched 22g
rehydrated on my first 5 gallon batch for a Pale Ale and after 2 days I
have about 4+ inches of krausen and my carboy is churning and bubbling
at 62f. Fermentation started within 12 hours.

And my closet smells like glorious hops!

Way over kill for an APA. 11g of dry yeast provides about twice the cell count as a pitchable Wyeast or WLP pack. You only need one pack of US-05 for anything except very large beers (>1.080)

US-05, S-04 or Nottingham are used in most of my beers depending on the style. Good choices.

Craig

I was originally going by Palmer's recommendation to use "two dry yeast packs."

However, noting his lack of a volume for the packs, I read through many threads
here (including Bob's informative war on over/under pitching) and realized that I
should have done some calculations and probably pitched one pack.

However, is 22g dry 05 enough overkill to cause concern for my product?

I had fermentation within 12 hours, 4 inches of Krausen and convection for 2-3
days. Now all is relatively silent with retention of the bubbly Krausen on day 5.

What's done is done, I'll take a hydro reading on day 7!

It sure smells good.

I was originally going by Palmer's recommendation to use "two dry yeast packs."

However, noting his lack of a volume for the packs, I read through many threads
here (including Bob's informative war on over/under pitching) and realized that I
should have done some calculations and probably pitched one pack.

However, is 22g dry 05 enough overkill to cause concern for my product?

I had fermentation within 12 hours, 4 inches of Krausen and convection for 2-3
days. Now all is relatively silent with retention of the bubbly Krausen on day 5.

What's done is done, I'll take a hydro reading on day 7!

It sure smells good.

I don't how many packs you would have to pitch to have reason to worry but 2 definitely is not enough. Sounds like a perfect ferment to me.

Does S05 work great with irish stout?
Or it is better to use special liquid yeast to get those ester taste out of the beer?:drunk:

I did a dry stout with S-05 a while back, and it turned out great. Some will tell you that you need an Irish ale yeast for dry stout, but my results were excellent.

Wow, that is awesome. Do you have a link or are you making that up? ;)

Yeah it is in the first 5 minutes of this Basic Brewing podcast in the listener mail section.

It is the answer to a question based on the previous week's podcast which was on gluten free brewing.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr01-25-07.mp3

But you should NOT re-use the yeast (like pitch more batches on it) because it ill spontanaeously generate glutens....They don't know how many passes of the yeast will do it...so if people are concerned don't re-use it.

:D

I did a slightly kicked-up brown ale kit (OG 1.06) back on 11-22 using two packs of Nottingham. It's been carbonating in bottle two weeks now and starting to taste really good. I probably over pitched. But results seem good so far. The yeasties are pretty forgiving if we give them time to do their thing.

Back