Atlanta/Fulton County Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtreeCreekBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone had a recent Fulton County water report done?

There are a lot of "average" values out there, and BeerSmith even has one...just curious if anyone has anything empirical.

Also, I've heard that ATL alternates between chlorine and chloramine usage. Any validity to this? I typically treat with K-meta but it would be nice to know if I'm adding an unnecessary step.

Thanks!

I am mailing a sample today. I'll post the results. It's downstream of a carbon filter, I'm not sure how different that is from what would come straight out of the tap.

I called the number on the water quality report to see if they had any additional info and talked to a chemist. Unfortunately, they don't test for what I was looking for but he did tell me that leaving the Chattahoochee WTP the hardness was 24.4 mg/L CaCo3, alkalinity was 16.8 and chlorine was 1.29 ppm.

I read the same thing somewhere about chloramines but he said they use strictly sodium hypochlorite and never chloramines for disinfection (that's why I got the carbon filter). I live very close to the Chattahoochee WTP, but Atlanta also has a Hemphill WTP. The water source is the same for both, and I would think they use the same disinfection method, but they may not.

Hadn't heard about hypochlorite use. Those values are (nominally) harder than what I've found other places. I imagine your carbon filter will probably be fairly soft.

I too am very close to Chattahoochee WTP. I'd guess they have a similar treatment SOP...

Bubbling chlorine gas into water creates hypochlorite. That is the actual molecule that exists in water when we speak of chlorine. There are solids and liquids that are also used in the water industry for disinfection. Sodium hypochlorite is typically a liquid and calcium hypochlorite is typically a solid.

To create chloramines, they may use any of the disinfectants mentioned above. They then add ammonia to the water to convert hypochlorite to a form of chloramine.

Chattahoochee water is fairly pristine and pure, so the water company may not have to worry about using chloramine. But if Lake Lanier gets any dirtier, they might have to. Organic matter in the water is what typically forces a water utility to switch from chlorine to chloramine.

This is my report from Ward Lab. It's about what I expected based on other reports I have seen. I'm hoping the carbon filter removes any chlorine and sediment, but I don't think it affects the mineral profile.

pH 7.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 91
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.15
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.3 / 1.2

ppm
Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 10
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 33
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 6
Chloride, Cl 12
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 26
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 22

Awesome, thank you.

That's actually slightly harder than a lot of the numbers I've seen from other places...not really enough to make a difference but good to know.

Again, thanks!

Has anyone done a test of Atlanta (I'm in north Fulton) water recently? I usually just used a campden tablet and 5.2 salts but getting ready to do a giant RIS and want the water to be just right...

This is my report from Ward Lab. It's about what I expected based on other reports I have seen. I'm hoping the carbon filter removes any chlorine and sediment, but I don't think it affects the mineral profile.

pH 7.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 91
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.15
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.3 / 1.2

ppm
Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 10
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 33
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 6
Chloride, Cl 12
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 26
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 22

Wondering how much of difference since I'm in Conyers/Covington, Ga area. Probably will send a sample to Ward also. Just wonder how much could it be different if using hard vs soft.

I don't know how much variance there is from one part of Fulton County to another, but here is their annual report from the county webpage.

http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/images/stories/WR/water/CCR/CCR14web.pdf

I guess you'd have to go through Ward Labs or something if you wanted a more specific report for your personal residence.

edit: I'm also in North Fulton.

I have one similar to this for Rockdale and Newton county ... I can get hard water from Rockdale ... I have been using RO Spring water from a Kroger vending machine for my 1st two AG recipes. Wondering if 50/50 hard water and Spring would be best for AG or just stick with the RO Spring only?

Latest posts

Back