Hand me down 5 gal bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My sons friend is getting me several 5 gal buckets from the fast food restaurant where he works. I want to use these for several things around the brewery. From grain storage to a star san bucket.

I am assuming the original use will be pickles.

My question is this... What can I use to kill the pickle (yeast?) and/or smell? Do you think a bleach soak will do it?

Cheers!!! :mug:

It doesn't hurt to try but I could never get the pickle smell out. I can't say I worked on it at any length but soaking with bleach and One Step (not at the same time) didn't work .

Chris_Dog said:
My sons friend is getting me several 5 gal buckets from the fast food restaurant where he works. I want to use these for several things around the brewery. From grain storage to a star san bucket.

I am assuming the original use will be pickles.

My question is this... What can I use to kill the pickle (yeast?) and/or smell? Do you think a bleach soak will do it?

Cheers!!! :mug:

About 4 months ago I bought 6 buckets and lids on Craigslist that had ginger in them. I have tried everything to get the smell out and have not been successful so far. I used a strong bleach solution when I first got them, I used them as sanitizing buckets with iodophor, tried baking soda, vinegar, etc. . . I even kept them outside in the sunlight because I heard UV rays could possibly kill the smell, but it didn't work. I have noticed the smell isn't as strong but definitely still there enough that I wouldn't use them for fermentation. So I'm just using them for sanitizing and now that I'm getting into AG I'm planning to use them with plastic liners for grain storage. Let me know if you find anything that works, I'd like to use a couple of these as fementers if possible.

Have you recieved them yet? I know the fast food restaurant I work at as a youngen, Rhymes with LickDonalds, never got pickles in 5 gallons buckets. Never got anything in that big of buckets. Curious as to what was in these and where they came from.

IrregularPulse said:
Have you recieved them yet? I know the fast food restaurant I work at as a youngen, Rhymes with LickDonalds, never got pickles in 5 gallons buckets. Never got anything in that big of buckets. Curious as to what was in these and where they came from.

Our restaurants get pickles, eggs, icings, fruit filling, and streusel topping in 5 gallon food safe buckets. They are very common in the restaurant business.

Go to Donut shops or Super Markets that have a Deli in them. They get their icing/frosting in 5 gallon buckets and usually are happy to get rid of them. I have 4 that I got this way and they work fine. No problems with smells.

I just bought 2 20gallon buckets that contained olives. Green olives. Man did they stink. I added ~5oz of oxyclean (well actually generic brand) and filled them to the brim with hot water. 3 hours later I rinsed and now they don't smell like anything :) . Percarbonate cleaners rock!:rockin:

5 Is Not Enough said:
I just bought 2 20gallon buckets that contained olives. Green olives. Man did they stink. I added ~5oz of oxyclean (well actually generic brand) and filled them to the brim with hot water. 3 hours later I rinsed and now they don't smell like anything :) . Percarbonate cleaners rock!:rockin:

I'm gonna give Oxyclean a shot in the buckets I have. I need to pick some up for the swing tops I just got on CL anyway. I also stumbled across this idea for removing skunk smell. I figure if it can handle skunk it should be able to handle food smells. If the oxyclean doesn't work I might try it.

pdxhophead said:
I'm gonna give Oxyclean a shot in the buckets I have. I need to pick some up for the swing tops I just got on CL anyway. I also stumbled across this idea for removing skunk smell. I figure if it can handle skunk it should be able to handle food smells. If the oxyclean doesn't work I might try it.

The idea you posted is essentially using oxyclean. Peroxide and carbonates are identical to sodium peroxide and carbonates...

Try hydrogen peroxide as well... hear tell it can get rid of skunk. Dont think pickles are stronger than skunk

Back