Control Panel Brew Stand Mount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheez

Reaction score
I would like to attach my 16x16x8 50A control panel to the side of my wood brew stand and have the ability of swiveling it out of the way when done brewing. I would also like to be able able to move the height of the panel up without attaching a vertical 2x4 (or whatever) to the side of my brew stand to achieve the desired height.

I came across this mount http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=9744&seq=1&format=2 and it looks like it may do the trick. Any thoughts on this mount or any other ideas? Thanks :mug:

I built a ceiling mounted jib-arm for mine using fairly heavy duty parts, and it puts a lot of strain on the joints. Depending on what you cram into your panel, it will end up weighing quite a bit. 44lbs is the limit on that bracket, and is probably pretty close to what a panel will weigh. Based on my experience - find a place you can mount it without moving it and just leave it be.

I built a ceiling mounted jib-arm for mine using fairly heavy duty parts, and it puts a lot of strain on the joints. Depending on what you cram into your panel, it will end up weighing quite a bit. 44lbs is the limit on that bracket, and is probably pretty close to what a panel will weigh. Based on my experience - find a place you can mount it without moving it and just leave it be.

I really don't have a convenient place to put the stand against a wall and for the panel to be mounted on the wall. I want the stand to be somewhat mobile around my shop and for the control panel to be within arms reach of whatever I'm doing - especially for shutting off a pump. Whenever I insulate my shop, finish the upstairs, organize crap, etc., I may try to make a permanent location for the brew stand. But, that may be several years out.

I was hoping to find some kind of articulating arm that would swivel and move in any direction and hold the weight. I should have my new brew stand done this weekend so I'll take my bare panel and start brainstorming.

i used something similar and in the same application (mounted to my wooden stand). im very happy with the one i bought (ebay for like 25). ill see if i can find the picture and post it

I want the stand to be somewhat mobile around my shop and for the control panel to be within arms reach of whatever I'm doing - especially for shutting off a pump..

So this was my initial thought process, too. And that's why I built my ceiling mounted jib-arm. I can move my panel anywhere within about 6' of where it's mounted. The reality is - I leave it in one spot.

Think of it this way - how big is your brew stand going to be? 8' long? 10' at most? If something goes horribly wrong, and you are at the far end of the brew stand from your panel, you could cover that distance and hit the EPO in under a second.

I'm all for complicated gizmos and gadgets, and part of me really wants you to get this thing and report back on how it works. The other part of me feels that there are some times where keeping it simple and functional is the right way to go.

Either way, you'll be able to make beer, and that's the important part!
:mug:

i used something similar and in the same application (mounted to my wooden stand). im very happy with the one i bought (ebay for like 25). ill see if i can find the picture and post it

A photo. would be much appreciated!

So this was my initial thought process, too. And that's why I built my ceiling mounted jib-arm. I can move my panel anywhere within about 6' of where it's mounted. The reality is - I leave it in one spot.

Think of it this way - how big is your brew stand going to be? 8' long? 10' at most? If something goes horribly wrong, and you are at the far end of the brew stand from your panel, you could cover that distance and hit the EPO in under a second.

I'm all for complicated gizmos and gadgets, and part of me really wants you to get this thing and report back on how it works. The other part of me feels that there are some times where keeping it simple and functional is the right way to go.

Either way, you'll be able to make beer, and that's the important part!
:mug:

The bottom line is that I just want to attach it to my brew stand - at least for now. The top of my brew stand is only 27" high and I'm hoping to have the panel roughly around 36" high. I like the the idea of the mount I posted in that it easily adjusts height wise as well as all of the rotating stuff. This mount would allow me to attach it to the side of my stand (at the top) without extending a pipe or 4x4 or whatever up to get the height I'm after. Whether it will really work... I dunno.

I think I'd maybe use two U-bolts to clamp a 1.5" black pipe vertically to the end of the stand, then on the top thread an elbow on to the point where it's facing away from the stand but just loose enough to turn as a pivot. Then a nipple long enough to space it away from the stand just enough, then elbow to go vertical. Then go with a 45 elbow so that the panel tilts back and then to a flange to bolt to the panel. Any joint on a horizontal should get drilled through for a cotter pin or bolt to keep it from rotating to disaster. I haven't priced it out but it should be stronger than the cheap TV mounts.

I think I'd maybe use two U-bolts to clamp a 1.5" black pipe vertically to the end of the stand, then on the top thread an elbow on to the point where it's facing away from the stand but just loose enough to turn as a pivot. Then a nipple long enough to space it away from the stand just enough, then elbow to go vertical. Then go with a 45 elbow so that the panel tilts back and then to a flange to bolt to the panel. Any joint on a horizontal should get drilled through for a cotter pin or bolt to keep it from rotating to disaster. I haven't priced it out but it should be stronger than the cheap TV mounts.

Hmm... that's a good idea. Next time I'm at HD I'll take a look at some parts to see what it would take. Thanks.

I used superstrut plus HF dolly wheels and my panel weighed 52 lbs before I added the components.

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

image-2820681671.jpg

image-4088883804.jpg

Hmm... that's a good idea. Next time I'm at HD I'll take a look at some parts to see what it would take. Thanks.

That is exactly how I mounted my panel to the end of my stand. Swivels out of the way also from slightly above surface to the side.

Used 1" black iron pipe, primed and satin black. Used conduit brackets on the back of the panel. Then 3 Conduit brackets on the side of my stand.. I will add additional photos to show more of this on catalog of my signature. for now pict 30 of 56 shows it a bit.

Less than $20.00 in parts

That is exactly how I mounted my panel to the end of my stand. Swivels out of the way also from slightly above surface to the side.

Used 1" black iron pipe, primed and satin black. Used conduit brackets on the back of the panel. Then 3 Conduit brackets on the side of my stand.. I will add additional photos to show more of this on catalog of my signature. for now pict 30 of 56 shows it a bit.

Less than $20.00 in parts

Photos would be great - thank you!

Yeah, I guess 1" would be fine. I thought 1.5" would be better if you planned to cantilever out from the stand. The weak point of pipe is at the threads since they cut through a significant portion of the wall thickness.

Back