Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laserghost said:
Chinook sounds like a safe choice, I guess I was hoping to hear about some more unexpected, but equally delicious decisions.

Well since the original recipe doesn't call for dry hopping anyways, your already changing it, no need to play it safe. Dry hop with whatever you want, any citrusy hop would pair well Chinook.

Gmull70 said:
So went to brew shop on sat and brewing today monday. and realized Im missing an once of chinook lucky for me I had in my freezer .75 oz of Chinook and .25 oz of northern brewer any one think i should mix the two or just use the Chinook at knock out?

I say do it, record it. Maybe later you'll want to replicate it.

brewed this on 6/23 and am just now tapping into the two week old bottles. delish.

i used maris otter as base malt and spalt for fwh. i left in primary for 3 weeks and dryhopped the last six days of it with an ounce of chinook and an ounce of citra. i don't think another ounce of dry hops would have hurt this one bit (but there was also no more room with the whole hops).

i will brew this again for sure.

thanks! :mug:

Brewed today. I was in heaven with the aroma of the chinook hops. I ran short of time for the boil. I didn't have as much boil off as I thought I would so I ended up with 6 gallons in the carboy with a SG of 1.057.

I am looking forward to this brew!!!

So I lost most of my Tettnanger due to a boilover right when I got to a full boil. So I am thinking about a dryhop to make up for the loss of the Tett. Does it really matter since the Tettnanger is a First Wort hop? Or should I dry-hop?

Just brewed 5 gallons of this for our all-grain demonstration held at our club's Learn To Homebrew Day - since I was using hops I had on hand, I wound up brewing it with Willamette for FWH, Amarillo for 60 mins, Chinook for 30 mins and 5 mins, and then a little more Amarillo at flame-out. Delicious smelling, clear golden wort - just pitched some very active American Ale slurry.

Will give you an update in 2-4 weeks! Thanks for the recipe EdWort!

I brewed this a few weeks ago so it would be ready for the holidays. I added a little roasted barley to make the brew a little more red colored.

Well I racked it to the secondary on top of some chinook dry hops, and the gravity sample was awesome! The rye and chinooks pop out big time. I can't wait for this to be ready!

Holy smokes, Batman. This beer is GOOOOOD.

I had a few glasses of it when it was still quite fresh in the keg - it was overwhelmingly piney and grassy - but we are talking days 2-7 after putting it onto the gas.

I let it sit for another two weeks, and some sort of miracle must have happened inside that keg. It is now a tropical fruit explosion backed up by ribbons of caramely malty rye-spicy goodness. AMAZING.

Will be brewing this again as my go-to Rye IPA recipe. I did not mention above that I changed the grainbill due to not having any Flaked Barley on hand. Instead, I went with:
10# Pilsner malt
2# Rye malt
2# Vienna malt
12oz Caramel 40*L
2oz Caramel 80*L
and the hop schedule was:
0.5oz Willammette at 90 minutes FWH'd
1.5oz Amarillo at 60 minutes
0.5oz Chinook at 30 min
0.5oz Chinook at 5 min
0.5oz Amarillo at 1 min
and no dry hopping.

I never really liked IPA's but my daughter does so I brewed a batch of this for her. Or I should say I have never found an IPA I liked until I brewed this one.

This is a great recipe. I have brewed it a few times and am always sorry to see the last one go. I have used both pilsner and pale malt for the base, they both work well. I switched to C-80 and upped it to a pound and a half. It is a lot of crystal but this recipe can handle it. Last time I bittered with Columbus, very tasty combination with the Chinook. I use the same amount of Chinook, just move it later in the boil for flavor and aroma. I usually dry hop with an ounce of both Chinook and Cascade, they play together well too. I always forget to pick up some rice hulls when I buy ingredients, it seems like I end up with a stuck mash with my equipment.
The next batch I am going to use Warrior for bittering and Warrior and Cascade for dry hop, I think that will be good too.
This is an excellent recipe and beer. A solid malt backbone, spicyness from the rye, the caramel and the piney/citrusy/resinous flavor from the Chinook hops all come together in a beautiful copper colored elixir that is a joy for your taste buds.
It is also a solid enough recipe that you can tweak to your own tastes and still remain faithful to the original. I think if I were forced to choose only one beer to brew it would have to be this one.

I'll be brewing this up tomorrow with Marris Otter instead of 2-row...

Pretty excited.

Doesn't anyone see any reason not to dry hop w/ an oz of Galena & Chinook each?

Just brewed a 3 gallon batch last night to try this recipe out but just noticed I bought plain american 2-row, not pilsner 2-row....any difference? I hit all the numbers from the recipe, except my mash dropped from 154 to 151-152 because of dead space in my tun,. Any idea what to expect?

Just brewed a 3 gallon batch last night to try this recipe out but just noticed I bought plain american 2-row, not pilsner 2-row....any difference? I hit all the numbers from the recipe, except my mash dropped from 154 to 151-152 because of dead space in my tun,. Any idea what to expect?

This is a standard beer for me, year-round. I've never brewed it with anything but Rahr 2-row for the base malt, and I find it delicious.

This is a standard beer for me, year-round. I've never brewed it with anything but Rahr 2-row for the base malt, and I find it delicious.
What about the lower mash temp? My guess is it will just dry out a little more..might rack to secondary once @ 1.013ish

Brewed this up the other day. Hydro sample was great and this may turn out to be my best looking beer yet. My efficiency must be up there - my OG was 1.072! Thought it was going to blow the lid after 2 days in the fermentor, the lid was bulging even with a blow off tube!

I was looking to give a Rye IPA brew a shot and this one looks straightforward. Plus, every recipe of Ed's that I've brewed has turned out fantastic. I want to explore the use of Nelson Sauvin Hops in a Rye IPA like Widmer's O'Ryely. Here is a link that describes their brew: http://widmerbrothers.com/beer/#rotator-ipa-oryely-ipa
Any thoughts on where I should change this recipe to support Nelson?

Thanks!

I used this grain bill with 0.5oz Columbus and 0.5oz Citra FWH, and used 1oz Citra additions at 15min and 1min with 2oz Citra dry hopped. Turned out amazing. Homebrew club loved it, too. My OG was at 1.080, and the beer has amazing head retention. Thanks EdWort!

Thanks Edwort for posting this recipe.

I brewed the beer but changed out the pilsner for American 2-Row and reduced the base-malt quantity for higher mash efficiency. OG was 1.064, gravity on day 6 is 1.013; most likely finished fermenting but no rush. Mash temperature was 152F->151F after 60 mimutes, mash pH = 5.45 measured at room temperature and a pitch of WY1056 per www.Yeastcalc.com. Fermenation temperature controlled to 67F.

I'm planning on dryhopping this with 1 oz Chinook 5 days before bottling.

What would you suggest for a yeast?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale-05
Yeast Starter: Hydrated Dry

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 67
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: SRM 9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 62-65 degrees
Additional Fermentation: Crash cool to 39 degrees for 3 days then keg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: Spicy, malty, & very tasty!

BCB Rye IPA

This is a tasty, yet big beer at 7.2% abv. The flaked barley gives it incredible head retention and a cascading effect like a nitrogen pour.

10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

Mashed in at 154 degrees for 70 minutes. Ran off 7 gallons and boiled for 90 minutes.

My Spring batch of this great beer is on deck for tomorrow morning. Starting early, which is good, since it's a 90 min. boil....

I brewed a batch of this about 3.5 weeks ago and have had it on gas for 5 days or so. Had a glass last night and Wow! This is a good beer! Great, but not overwhelming, spices from the rye and Chinook. 10 out of 10 will brew again!

20130507_183808.jpg

I took the original recipe and made the following changes:

American 2-Row Malt
Simpson's English Crystal 60 Malt
Mashed 152F for 60 min
60 Minute Boil
Wyeast 1056
Dryhopped with 1 oz of Chinook in a 5.5 gal batch, added to secondary 5 days before bottling.
OG = 1.064, FG = 1.013

This will absolutely get brewed again.

Rye IPA.jpg

Perfect, I have Tettnang and Cascade plants growing really well this season and this may be the fresh hop brew!

I also have a friend who is raising bees. Anyone have ANY idea if adding some honey to this recipe is a good idea and how it would impact the overall flavor??

I brewed this beer and enjoy it, but would like to try it again with hops other than Chinook. Something about that bite bugs me.

What would you think of the following hop schedule?
1 oz. German Tettnang FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1 oz. Nugget 60 min 10%
0.5 oz. Centennial 40 min 10%
0.5 oz. Centennial 5 min 10%
Dry Hop 0.5 oz. Cascade

Edwort, almost all of your recipes call for ~30 days in fermenter, is this recipe only 10 because its an IPA and you want to drink it as fresh as possible or is there any other reason why this one is only in primary for only 10 days?

Also - would adding some American C hop varieties as a dry hop addition compliment this beer or would the flavors clash? I am going to brew this for a pig pickin and I know a lot of people there love the west coast style ipa aroma so I was going to trying and alter this recipe to make it a bit more of a people pleaser but still have a nice spicy rye malt backbone.

Whelp, I brewed this last night and it went from following your recipe exactly to, "ehhh I have .5 oz of this in the freezer, .5 oz of that..." and I added a plethora of hops @ 0. Lets hope it turns out well!

Is galena or nugget or a combo of both acceptable as a sub for chinook? Lhbs did not have cent, columbus or chinook

Brewed this Sunday, everything went well except I had lower efficiency then usual, somewhere 65% area and boiled off more then usual so I had to top off. I fwh with mount hood and subd galena and nugget for chinook. I just mixed up the two hops and did the additions on schedule.

Just triedmy hydro sample. Finished at 1.018 and
The taste is great. Smooth up front and the rye hits you in the aftertaste. The spiciness is awesome. I bet this would be good dry hopped with simcoe or citra

Just over 3 weeks old and a week on gas, I rushed this beer to free up my fermentation chamber. It's still a little green but not bad I got anxious and pulled a draft, this was poured via a Guinness Stout Tap using CO2.

image-2245330573.jpg

image-352721763.jpg

I just kegged this using 1oz Columbus to dry hop in the. Keg. Tastes great flat anxious to try in2weeks

I can see why this is on rotation, one week on gas, not fully carbed but this is amazing! I will do this guy again!

Want to do a rye, its down to this or a rye pale ale, think I might just pull the trigger and brew this one on Sat. Pretty excited!

I highly recommend this one, itsnot even fully carbed but it is amazing. Might be the only ipa I ever brew

Brewed on 5/19/13 tapped the keg around June 1st, was not really super excited about the flavors but after reading the whole thread I remember someone saying around week 8 or something magical happens to this beer! Well today is about week nine and almost four weeks since I tasted it last and wow! It has cleared up and the flavors are spot on and very complex!

Back