Tell me if my yeast is dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Ok, I finished the wort last night and cooled it down. I figured i'd test the yeast, so i poured some off into a jar and poured in some of my yeast, about 2 teaspons and left it overnight. When I woke up today I didn't see anything happening in the jar, just some brown sediment in the bottom (dead yeast?) :( The yeast spent four days in transit with one ice pack, and I've had it in my fridge for a week. Do I need to give it more time or is it fubared?

You should always start your yeast before you make your wort just to ensure its viability and to get the cell count up. I guess it's a little late for that so let's carry on.

What are you hoping to see in the jar? You'll probably only get a few bubbles coming to the top unless you have an airlock that will show CO2 production. In any case, seeing as how you've already brewed I would just go ahead and pitch the yeast in the wort and wait. If you don't see any airlock activity in 48 hours you may have to throw a pack of dry yeast if you have one on hand.

Yooper Chick said:
The yeast can ferment a starter overnight. Next time do a "real" starter for your yeast, but go ahead pitch the yeast in your wort!

Can or can't?

I was expecting to see what I do when I proof yeast for bread, a foam form on top, bubbles, and cloudiness.

malkore said:
exactly how hot was the wort when you added the yeast?

It was actually quite cool - condensation formed on the fermentation container I'm using.

liquid yeast? If so, your 2 tbsp would have made no significant sediment unless it fermented (and created more yeast). I suspect your starter fermented and you just missed it.

Ok, bubbles will come out my airlock if i shake the container, does that mean it's getting started?

Back