east coast Brewery tours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadWeezel

Reaction score
Ok guys i'm taking a trip out east come mid feb and i want some input on brewery's to visit. Allready planned is the Sam Adams tour thats a given, but whats some other brewers out east to visit. Note i'm currently running from pittsberg, new york, and boston, and there abouts. So whats out there to see?

There's a lot up in Vermont - Magic Hat, Otter Creek, some others that I'm forgetting about. If you can make it up to Burlington, VT, do - it's a pheomenal little college town, lots of great stuff going on, lots of great food and drink and good times.

While not a brewery - when you go to pittsburgh, go down to the south side to Fatheads. They keep 25 or so micros/imports on tap, I've even seen Stone Arrogant Bastard on tap there.

While passing through PA, stop at the oldest brewery in the country. Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, Pa. Then on to Victory in Downingtown, Wyerbacher in Easton, Troegs (I forget where they are)

dirtymartini said:
While passing through PA, stop at the oldest brewery in the country. Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, Pa. Then on to Victory in Downingtown, Wyerbacher in Easton, Troegs (I forget where they are)

Completely agree with the suggestion to his Weyerbacher in Easton. Have a designated driver...these guys don't mess around.

The bird makes a great point - Burlington, VT is a hike from Boston (4-5 hours?) but there are some great bars and, of course, Magic Hat.

In Boston, other than Sam Adams and Harpoon (both a must), there aren't a ton of options for large breweries any more. I would suggest trying out the Cambridge Brewing Company, whose web page can be found here. This is a great place to get a few growlers for the hotel! Their Amber is excellent. Their Porter is out of this world. Their food is great. Can't go wrong, this is my most frequented brewery in the area.

Also, though it's not a brew pub, I'd make some time to hit up the Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston (pretty much same city as Boston). They don't have a web page, but here is their writeup on beeradvocate.com. This place has 100 or so beers on tap, dozens more in bottles, and they usually have some Cask Conditioned stuff also. Truly a beer lovers heaven.

Finally, (and again they don't brew their own!) I have to reccomend Redbones BBQ in Somerville (and once again, easily accessible....everything in Boston is close). They have the best BBQ around and have some great beers on tap. This is one of the few places I have hunted down Rogue products on the taps, and coupled with some ribs and pulled pork there ain't much better than that.

dirtymartini said:

I second the Victory recommendation - awesome microbrewery!!

Stoudt
Dogfish Head
Brooklyn
Smuttynose

Too bad you're not anywhere near Richmond, VA. The Capital Ale House is probably the best pub that a beer connoisseur can find. They have 77 taps, 2 casks and 250+ bottles. And not a BMC in sight. Whooooo, you daaaamn right :rockin:

I agree with Sam and Harpoon...Magic Hat in Burlington is also good, but it's a haul from Boston unless you own your own Lear jet.
If you're up for a day trip, check out The Shipyard in Portland, ME...about 2 hrs from Boston.
They give great tours, good samples and POrtland is a great town..lots of cool pubs, cooblestone walks, music, etc,...it's essentially a mini Boston without the Polo shirts.

MarkUsBrew said:
I second the Victory recommendation - awesome microbrewery!!

Definately. I was up there last weekend and had a great time. While it felt sort of like a chucky cheese (very wide open, and very family friendly), the beer was so darn good it isn't funny.

Troeg's is in Harrisburg, PA. They have a brewtour, but (IIRC) not a brewpub. ALso in Harrisburg is Appalachian Brewing Co, which is fricking awesome as all get out. They have quite a bigger selection of beers than Troegs.

In Lancaster, PA there's Lancaster Brewing Co, which is excellent as well.

In Adamstown (north of Lancaster) there is Stoudt's brewing. I'm not a big fan, but if you're in the middle of nowhere in PA, might as well check it out.

In State College, PA is Otto's. State College is right off I-80, so if you're heading between Pittsburgh and New York and using the I-80 route, you can hit that up.

In Latrobe (out near Pittsburgh) is the Rolling Rock facility, but nearby is Red Star brewery, which makes the best red ale I've ever had.

There are also a bunch in and around the greater Philly area as well. I don't know the area that well, but I'm sure a local like Hopfan can detail some of the city brewhouses.

Ahh sooooo much and so little time! Wish i had taken more than a week off... I will be spending most my time in / around PA. So most of dirtymartini's in. I'll go visit Newcastle only if the beer ape is hang round though. Sam Adams and Harpoon is in too for MA. Not sure how much time i'm going to have there though. One of my friends knows a pub in NY to Hit but no brewery's (Yo Step up NYC!).

humm starting to sound like i may need to find someone responsible for the trip too..... :cross: :drunk: :cross: :drunk:

Keep em comming i plan to be hung over till december after this one..

MadWeezel said:
Ahh sooooo much and so little time! Wish i had taken more than a week off... I will be spending most my time in / around PA. So most of dirtymartini's in. I'll go visit Newcastle only if the beer ape is hang round though. Sam Adams and Harpoon is in too for MA. Not sure how much time i'm going to have there though. One of my friends knows a pub in NY to Hit but no brewery's (Yo Step up NYC!).

humm starting to sound like i may need to find someone responsible for the trip too..... :cross: :drunk: :cross: :drunk:

Keep em comming i plan to be hung over till december after this one..

What about Southampton Publick House on Long Island?

The Yuingling tour is really cool, just from the historical/traditional aspect.

Just across the river from Philly is the Flying Fish Brewery, they have a pretty good tour as well.

If you are anywhere near southeastern PA, hit up Victory. It is a little out of the way, but that beer is just so damn good.

The only other one I can think of that has not beeen mentioned, is Red Hook. I may be out of my mind, but I believe they have a facility in VT (I think I read that on a bottle once and made a mental not to visit if I am ever in the area).

Ryan_PA said:
The only other one I can think of that has not beeen mentioned, is Red Hook. I may be out of my mind, but I believe they have a facility in VT (I think I read that on a bottle once and made a mental not to visit if I am ever in the area).

Portsmouth, NH, I do believe.

On the other side of the river in Lambertville, NJ is RiverHorse brewery. Also, if you make your way through central NJ to Woodbridge you can visit Beeradvocate's #2 brewpub in America J.J. Bittings. I was actually there last night for the first time and enjoyed every brew they had.

jezter6 said:
Definately. I was up there last weekend and had a great time. While it felt sort of like a chucky cheese (very wide open, and very family friendly), the beer was so darn good it isn't funny.

Troeg's is in Harrisburg, PA. They have a brewtour, but (IIRC) not a brewpub. ALso in Harrisburg is Appalachian Brewing Co, which is fricking awesome as all get out. They have quite a bigger selection of beers than Troegs.

In Lancaster, PA there's Lancaster Brewing Co, which is excellent as well.

In Adamstown (north of Lancaster) there is Stoudt's brewing. I'm not a big fan, but if you're in the middle of nowhere in PA, might as well check it out.

In State College, PA is Otto's. State College is right off I-80, so if you're heading between Pittsburgh and New York and using the I-80 route, you can hit that up.

In Latrobe (out near Pittsburgh) is the Rolling Rock facility, but nearby is Red Star brewery, which makes the best red ale I've ever had.

There are also a bunch in and around the greater Philly area as well. I don't know the area that well, but I'm sure a local like Hopfan can detail some of the city brewhouses.

I second or third (or fourth if I'm allowed) Appalachian Brewery (i go there almost weekly when working from my office in Harrisburg).

Otto's is great too (go usually once per week when I'm working in St. College April-September).

Lancaster Brewing Co. has some pretty good brews, but their menu is less than satisfying to me (looks good at glance, but after trying several things, I just prefer their beer). I usually make it down there maybe once a month or so...

Stoudts is just O.K., but i've been there a few times and Troeg's doesn't have a pub/restaurant, so that isn't too cool...

SilkkyBrew said:
I second or third (or fourth if I'm allowed) Appalachian Brewery (i go there almost weekly when working from my office in Harrisburg).

Does Appalachain have a Pub? Sounds like a good road trip on the bike when the weather gets nice.

Back