Beer Vase $1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thwizzit

Reaction score
So, I stopped in one of those Dollar Tree stores to look for something and I saw these in the section where they have vases for flowers so I got a couple for $1 each. They're actually perfect for 16oz of Home Brew :)

beer-vase.jpg

I'm thinking that whoever labeled that glass as a vase at the $ store must have had too many homebrews...

Beer...Hops, Hops...Flowers, Flowers...Vase, Vase...Beer

Coincidence? I think not! :mug:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.........

What the hell were you doing shopping in the FLOWER VASE section of a Dollar Tree store? I'm going to have to ask you to return your Man Card, at your earliest convenience.

I think he really went back to pick up some of those nice pink flowery ones on the top shelf. Perfect for a nice blush or rose.

Cool, is the glass sturdy enough for a night of home brew?

They're actually a nice weight. I don't think if it fell over it would break like some Pilsner glasses I have which have a thinner glass

What the hell were you doing shopping in the FLOWER VASE section of a Dollar Tree store? I'm going to have to ask you to return your Man Card, at your earliest convenience.

I know it looks bad but i was looking for some cheap picture frames and on my way to the register I walked past them.

You believe me, don't you???

I would be a little concerned about using these .Most likely made in China and didn't pass the mustard for drinking classes due to lead or something else so they sold them off as Vase's to wholesalers. Nobody cares if your poison your dead flowers anyways.

I don't think cheap ordinary glassware contains lead. Usually, lead is used to make the more expensive Lead Crystal and fancy stemware. It's also from Indonesia which I think is more reliable than China. besides, who wants to live forever?

I don't think cheap ordinary glassware contains lead. Usually, lead is used to make the more expensive Lead Crystal and fancy stemware. It's also from Indonesia which I think is more reliable than China. besides, who wants to live forever?

Having bought non food grade ceramics/glass ware from dollar trees before, if it's not foodgrade, it will have a tiny (size of a thumbnail) sticker on the base/bottom clearly stating not to use it for human consumption.

I betcha if thizzy flipped a few of the vases above over, he'd see them on those.

Having bought non food grade ceramics/glass ware from dollar trees before, if it's not foodgrade, it will have a tiny (size of a thumbnail) sticker on the base/bottom clearly stating not to use it for human consumption.

I betcha if thizzy flipped a few of the vases above over, he'd see them on those.

Without wanting to sound like a xenophobe, do you really trust Chinese companies to make sure that those stickers are in place? The same companies that painted Thomas the Train with lead paint?

Without wanting to sound like a xenophobe, do you really trust Chinese companies to make sure that those stickers are in place? The same companies that painted Thomas the Train with lead paint?

Nah, I don't trust the Chinese.... BUT I trust dollar general to cover THEIR asses enough to make sure they properly label the products they put in their stores.

But looking at glass and lead safety issues online, it appears that lead is NOT a problem/possibility it the glass is glass (not lead crystal) and clear (no decorations)....

Ceramic and glassware are often decorated with permanent, kiln-fired colors that have traditionally contained heavy metals. The use of these metals, primarily lead and cadmium, has come under examination in relation to negative health and environmental impacts.

When in contact with foods and beverages, the metals can leach out of the decorations. Prolonged or repeated food contact can result in chronic poisoning. Ceramic or glass packaging that enters the waste stream also leaches the poisons, which can have severe consequences on the environment and our water supply.

In response to these concerns, there are a number
of regulations limiting the amount of heavy metals in food-bearing vessels and disposable packaging. The FDA and EPA have established national guidelines, in addition to which there are individual state laws and voluntary industry standards. The summaries and links below are provided to help you understand the regulations and potential consequences of heavy metal use in glass and ceramic decoration, and to offer you safe and effective decorating options.

So I dunno...I agree with you about chinese safety laxity, BUT it doesn't seem to apply to regular clear glassware....

After reading this post I took a trip to my local dollar store and low and behold, I was able to find a couple whacky glasses. I bet the one on the left was a prototype to the famous Sam Adams glass, but they decided against using it:

:mug:

0924081244.jpg

Now those just look....wrong, for some reason. :mug:

Oh, those are Indonesian...not Chinese. In fact isn't Indonesia one of the countries now pushing to ban Chinese products, becasue they actually tested and discovered the melomein in the milk products?

The one on the left is from China and is a vase, the one on the right was with a bunch of drinking glasses and is unlabeled.

I bet anything that one on the left looks awesome after a few homebrews! :drunk:

Why not? For a buck, I said what the .... heck

That space-glass was the worst 'glass' I've ever tried to drink out of. I swear my homebrew tasted worse just because of the glass.

Maybe it is because the glass is a vase.... not a glass.

I'll stick to the standard drinking glasses from now on

That vase on the left looks like a martini glass that got pregnant, expelled the kid, then got cancer of the ass.

Latest posts

Back