Dip tube to center of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyte74

Reaction score
Just purchased two more kegs. Noticed on these the dip tube goes to the center of the keg. My other kegs dip tubes go straight down, more to the side of the keg. Will this cause issues or will I just get more yeast on my initial pull(s)? Seems like as the yeast continues to accumulate in the bottom it will cause constant cloudiness.

It depends on the keg. Some have a divot straight down, some to the center. The beer out line bends to the lowest part of the keg (to pick up the most liquid). Yes you may get some more yeast on the 1st pull or two if you don't use a fining agent or don't secondary, or are "sloppy" when racking. In any case, don't worry about it.

If the center tubes go to a center depression, and the side tubes go to a depression that runs from the side to the center, they are functionally equivalent. I have some of both styles.

What you want to keep an eye out is if someone swapped a center dip tube to a keg with a side well, or vice versa. The dip tube can get pinned against the non-depressed keg bottom leaving so small a gap that pours will foam...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info! My new ones do in fact have the center divot. It just looked strange to me. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just have to make sure I use the correct dip tube for the different types of kegs. I don't take them all apart at once, so should be a non-issue. Thanks again.

Back