WLP001 fermenting temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakiexcharles

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday, and got it into the primary around 2PM (29 hours ago) with WLP001. website says optimum temp is 68-73* it's been at a steady 70* in a closed off bathroom sitting in a bathtub because it looks like it's about to blow the top. Is this temperature acceptable? Brewing an "Imperial Stout".

Less is always better...in reality WLP can ferment down in the low to mid 60's no problem.

If its an imperial you should get your blowoff tube ready...

as you can see, the mini volcano breached the air lock.. but appears to have settled down since. Will it have another increase?
IMAG1186.jpg

I would advise a blowoff tube. I always use one for the first week of big beers just incase.

WLP001 is my go to yeast. I have used it for all but 3 of my brews. I have had 0 problems and at times have had unsteady fermenting temps. Anywhere around 70 IMO is fine a few degrees above or below will be fine.

I would not think that 70F would hurt your flavors, it is right in the middle of the suggested fermenting temps. However after your initial fermentation 14 - 21 days, I think you could decrease your temperature a bit with no ramifications. I may be incorrect here but it is just my experience.

appreciate it! i don't really have time to make my tube throughout the week.. i usually work close to 7-7...
I do definitely appreciate the advice and will build one ASAP.. for now at least the bathroom will be easy to clean :p

Yrs ago I had some diacetyl problems on a number of batches with WL001 fermenting around 70-72. Probably not noticeable in an Imperial stout, but in something like a Pliny clone it made a difference. I keep it mid 60's now.

i figure, it did its majoy early fermenting at this temp... my safest bet would be to let it continue its course at exactly 70... room temp is 68* I can always fill the bath if I need to.

i figure, it did its majoy early fermenting at this temp... my safest bet would be to let it continue its course at exactly 70... room temp is 68* I can always fill the bath if I need to.

It is, just for future reference it would be "safer" to start at 65 ish and let it ferment there for a few days then slowly ramp it up to 70ish to finish off..

Its really those first 24-48 hours of fermentation that temperature are critical, so always aim for those hours to be on the low end...

Let me just put it this way, your never going to ruin a beer by being a few(3-5) degree's under the recommended temperature, its just going to be a slower fermentation. Being above the recommended temperature is almost always going to create some off flavors, how bad/noticable they are really depends on the yeast, and the type of beer.

well, I didn't want to go to bed with the air lock dirty.. couldnt find any tubing to make my blow off with.. so I at least sanitized, removed, cleaned, sanitzed and refilled my original air lock... hopefully the beer peaked today and will keep my ceiling free of blackish brown.

well, I didn't want to go to bed with the air lock dirty.. couldnt find any tubing to make my blow off with.. so I at least sanitized, removed, cleaned, sanitzed and refilled my original air lock... hopefully the beer peaked today and will keep my ceiling free of blackish brown.

Just as a FYI, i am pretty sure 3/8ths hose fits over the tube part inside of the 3 piece air lock that you have...
That is, assuming you were looking for large tubing to fill in the entire airlock space.

All of us pretty much should have extra lengths of 3/8ths laying around.
Might be worth a try.

Like this
42725d1325873336-blow-off-tube-rigged-airlock-img_2871.jpg

blowoff2.jpg

I always use that style blow off tube. It works perfectly and never had any clogs. It does get nasty pretty quick though.

Back