First brew this weekend - Sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
Hello HBT community! Long time reader, first time poster. I have been researching home brewing ad nauseam for the past 3 weeks and learning everything I can before I begin. It already sounds like this will be an amazing hobby/adventure and I am looking forward to making my first all grain brew this weekend. I have a 5 gallon equipment kit already, but further reading and personal preference have led me to start with smaller 1 gallon batches; my kit from Brooklyn brew shop arrived yesterday.
I will likely be employing a modified BIAB along with their directions to help further cut down on rogue particles in my wort, but my specific sparge question is this: with the rinsing of the mash/grains (which will be in an open mesh bag on a strainer), they are saying run the wort through 2-3 times... Should the last time through be with clean water heated to 170? Or will it be ok just to run the wort though with no final clean wash.
Thank you so much in advance - I know this will be a great learning experience. Happy brewing!

After your mash, you can take your grain bag out and put the whole bag in a seperate empty pot. Pour maybe a half gallon of heated water over the grains to rinse. Pour that water into your wort. Then take an empty pitcher of something smaller than the pot with the grains and squeeze the crap out of your grain bag to get all the wort out of your grains....like squeezing a sponge dry. That should probably be enough but you can repeat if you'd like.

When I biab'd I didn't even rinse with water....just squeezed the grain dry after I took them out.

My partial mash used 5lb of grains with a 3.3lb jug of breisse gold LME. Mashed at 156F for 1 hour in 1.5G of disstilled water (1qt watwer per lb of grain). I sparged with 1.5G of water to get 3 gallons total for the partial boil per instructions from midwest. All said & done I got 1.044OG from the 1.042-1.046 OG range stated. So this method did work out pretty good.

Back