apfelwein aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
what is the longest you guys have aged you apfel wine?

I have about a 18 carbed and 6 flat bottles that I have been aging for about 9 months now. I havent tried one fro about 4 months and I think I might be breaking into them soon.

What are your guy's times for aging and how did they react to it?

After two weeks of bottle conditioning, the longest I have aged it is a month. I just bottled 6 gallons and started 5 more. It doesn't last too long at my house. Just reminded me. I need to go to the "How many gallons of Apfelwein" thread and add >>-> X + 5= y again.

mrk305 said:
...I just bottled 6 gallons and started 5 more. It doesn't last too long at my house...
I believe I'm going to just dedicate a carboy to this. I haven't even sampled my first batch yet, but as soon as it's in the bottles I've got a fresh packet of Montrachet ready to go...

Maybe I need to just etch the glass with the recipe, and a space to fill in the blank for start date.

The keg I have on tap is 10 months old. The keg I'm bringing to NHBC in Cinci next year will be 13 months old when we tap it.

Patience pays off big time, so make more batches.

EdWort said:
The keg I have on tap is 10 months old. The keg I'm bringing to NHBC in Cinci next year will be 13 months old when we tap it.

The ladies love this stuff, and I love the ladies. :cross: I can't make enough!

EdWort said:

hey ed what temp have they been sitting at during the aging?

mot said:
hey ed what temp have they been sitting at during the aging?

I've gone 4 months in the carboy at room temp, kegged is 39 degrees in my 20 cu. ft. chest freezer.

Okay... I have searched the site and I can not seem to come up with an answer to my question... my apologies ahead of time if someone has already posted a reply to this...
My second batch of Apfel Wine is in the carboy, I am waiting for it to be done fermenting before I add my frozen blackberries. I want some of the flavor along with the aroma. But, my question is this, how long should I let it age after I add the blackberries? Do you think the longer I let it age, the less it will have the blackberry taste? Does any one else have any experience with adding frozen berries to the Apfel wine recipe?
Please help or send me a link to point me in the right direction!
Thanks in advance...

If your apfelwein has aged a month or two rack it into a carboy with blueberries for a couple weeks. It will have plenty of blueberry flavor, especially if you defrost them and freeze them again a couple of times to break down the cell walls of the fruit.

make sure your fermentation temp is 68 degrees or lower for adding the fruit. You don't want rotten fruit in your apfelwein from to high a heat.

For adding fruit to my apfelwein I take it outta the closet, which is 78F and stick it in my outside fridge which is 66F.

Also, I just had some 1 year old apfelwein at olllllo's house last weekend. Was awesome, delicate and flavorful almost champagne like but lower carbonation.

Thank you!! Most helpful!! I wouldn't have known the trick about defrosting and re-freezing the berries either. I will let you know how it turns out.

Just broke into a year old bottle, it's from my first batch. Only have a few of these babies left.

Of course I have more, just not a year old. I'll be sure to up production this month!

I have some that is 18 months old. Very good, but probably peaked at just over a year.

Back