how long will grain store and still be fresh enough to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I am wondering how long i can store grain if I buy bulk to cut the cost of each batch? I do not own a mill so it would be milled already from my LHBS. I have a big deep freezer and storage bins if that would help??? also is the shelf life of milled grain less than the shelf life of whole un-milled garin?

Yes milled grain doesn't last as long. I mill right before I mash in i find a noticble difference in freshness of the final product.

IMO don't bother with bulk until you buy you own mill, if your invested enough for bulk purchasing you should be invested enough to buy a mill.

yes very true. just out of curiosity how long will un-milled grain store for and still be fresh? is there any value of storing whole grains in the freezer/refrigerator.

I would think milled grains would be like coffee, refridgeration will keep them fresher longer and more important would be storing them sealed.

But that is just a guess.

I buy in bulk, store uncrushed, then crush as needed for each recipe (+ specialty grains) at LHBS

yes very true. just out of curiosity how long will un-milled grain store for and still be fresh? is there any value of storing whole grains in the freezer/refrigerator.

well your in florida so you might want to store them under refrigeration. Heat and moisture increase odds of infestations such as weevils. Un-milled will last at celler temps mid 50s in dry storage using sealed bins and dunnage racks (for me) maybe a year, i don't like to go longer but usually don't have to worry about that becasue i usually run out long before.

I would think milled grains would be like coffee, refridgeration will keep them fresher longer and more important would be storing them sealed.

But that is just a guess.

this is totally true but if you look at coffee snobs they insist on grinding right before brewing due to the loss of volitile oils in the beans. Less of an issue with grains but I still sense a difference in freshness.

I buy in bulk, store uncrushed, then crush as needed for each recipe (+ specialty grains) at LHBS

LHBS often have no problem of grinding grain that you brought in as long as you are buying something else while you are there i.e all your specialty malts and hops. at least this has been my experience. I bought my own mill (monster) due to inconsistencies i was getting from LHBS mills plus the time it took me to actually get to brewing after a window that I was able to make it to the LHBS often a week or two if not more.

ok cool thanks for the info! my LHBS has a new Crankandstein mill. Aren't those basically one of the best mills?

The savings are so immense depending on where you get your grain that you'll pay for the mill in just a few sacks of grain. I just got a couple sacks of 2 row from a group buy here for ~$75? 68 cents/lb versus the $1.75 or so my LHBS charges adds up fast. I still buy a LOT of stuff from them including specialty grains and such, but I use too much base malt to be paying such a premium.

I wouldn't buy a full sack without a mill to cut to the point. It would be an interesting experiment however. I roast my own coffee as well and I can taste the difference between coffee that was ground the day before and fresh ground. Maybe I'll crush a pound of barley and make barley tea once a week and sample it against fresh crushed barley tea to see when I can tell oxidation has set in...

I wouldn't buy a full sack without a mill to cut to the point...

I would add "or access to a mill" if your LHBS is willing to crush for you (as mine is), buying a full sack is no problem. I buy my specialty grain from them and they just crush it with my base malt to match whatever recipe I have.

I would add "or access to a mill" if your LHBS is willing to crush for you (as mine is), buying a full sack is no problem. I buy my specialty grain from them and they just crush it with my base malt to match whatever recipe I have.

yeah thats what im thinking about doing as well if my LHBS will let me just buy the specialty malt and bring in my 2-row for specific recipe. Of course only until i can get around to buying a good mill. Any suggestions? I dont mind spending a little more on a quality product rather than a P.O.S. that gives a bad crush and i'd have to replace later anyway

+1 Right on.

Back