Thermal Shock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdrduck

Reaction score
I've done it a hundred times with no problem, poured hot wort into a glass carboy. I just spent the last two hours brewing an Imperial Pale Ale on the old wood stove in the man cave, was going to pour it into the carboy and let it cool over night while the yeast starter did it's magic, half way through the pour it sounded like a .22 going off. The whole bottom of the carboy blew off and dumped about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of wort onto the floor. I just killed my favorite carboy and I don't know what I am going to do with the left over wort. I was so pissed I just tossed a cover on it and used the shop vac to try and clean up the mess. Maybe after I settle down I'll figure out what to do with it. I know it won't be an Imperial but I could just add water until I get a fair SG. At least my yeast won't go to waste that way. Man am I pissed at myself!

Grab yourself a plastic bucket fermenter in the morning and get the remainder fermenting. The smaller quantity in the big bucket is no problem for a couple weeks or more, then you can rack to another carboy for aging and dry hopping.

Thanks for the kind thoughts folks. After a night filled with bad dreams I am past the morning stage (but I will dress in black today). My (sniffle) plastic carboy will be called into duty today as a primary and my trusty favorite will be stripped of accessories and laid to rest with all the dignity I can muster.
A few months ago I made a wort chiller and just chose not to use it... stupid, stupid, stupid!

Back