How fast do you consume 5 gallons of home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggybudd

Reaction score
How fast does everyone go through their batches of home brew assuming you're not aging it for a really long time? I find me with my home brewing buddies will go through a corny keg of brew in about 2 weeks on average. The worst/best case was a week.

That depends on if I tell any of my buddies :tank:, 2-3 weeks seems to be about the norm.

Depends on how good it is. Brewing 5 gallon batches all the time, usually a month to take down one since at least 3 others are being consumed at the same time.

Batches usually stick around for a while since I brew a lot (48 G per month (4 12G batches over 3 weekends), but if I live brew to brew, then it would definitely be about three weeks.
Two a day keeps the witches away.
I agree with Kuntybrew, I keep a six of 12s in the archive for comparison tasting from batch to batch. Then the 22 ozs I save for special occasions and group tastings.

I guess it depends on the brew I have a cream stout that'll last last about 3 weeks, but my last 60 clone lasted 2.

Simple fix, carboys are cheap, brew three to four weeks in a row. You get a variety and will have enough to last you for awhile, by the time you are down to around 7-8 gallons left, repeat process

I usually have two types on hand. But average arounf 1 month for a 4 gallon batch.

I have A "bad" Belgian Wit still hanging around and a Roasted Rye IPA which is just about gone after conditioning for four weeks... it lasted around 2 weeks. (both 4 gal)

I have a bitter about to go into secondary and a Cardimum Pumpkin Porter in Primary.

I'd say on average about 2 weeks to a month for me. Though I had a few friends in from out of town in the Spring and we put down 2 newly tapped 5 gallon batches in 2 days... my pipeline is still trying to recover from that.

Either I am a light drinker compared to home brewers, or the folks here drink pretty heavy!

A 5 gallon batch, assuming I am not aging or saving it, and not cutting in other brews with it, will last me about 2 months. That is a case a month, which if drinking with the wife seems reasonable.

Usually it's just me and the wife drinking our beer on the weekends and we mix in craft beer here and there so we go through five gallons in about 1.5-2 months. Sometimes slower. It's boring drinking the same thing over and over so we make smaller batches to create diversity. Right now we have about 22 gallons bottled but that's 16 different kinds of beer.

It depends on the keg. Right now, I have a wet-hopped APA, a Belgian, and a dryhopped APA on tap. Since we're not wild about Belgians, that one will last a long time but the APA might last 10 days or so.

There are two adults in our home, and we both drink several pints of beer each evening. Sometimes we drink commercial craft beers, but not too often.

99% of my consumption is home brew - with the exception usually being inspiration sampling or when I'm out to dinner. That said, I cant answer the question because I always have 4+ beers ready at any given time. Depends on where my preferences lie at the given moment but I bounce from beer to beer quite a bit. I'd venture 5 gallons in ~2 weeks is the overall consumption but given how I drink them, some last two months or so.

On average I'd say 3 or 4 weeks. If I do a session beer that I can just drink the heck out of while I'm working on projects, then that may only last me 2 weeks.

5 gal lasts about 7-10 days at my house between the wife and I if only one keg is on tap, when both kegs are full and the small batches that have been bottled are in good supply a batch will last up to a month, maybe more. I try to brew every other week to keep up.

Generally 3-4 weeks for a keg with supplimental 6 packs.
I'm usually the only one drinking it, but sometimes I suspect someone is breaking in at night and helping themselves, 'cause the keg is empty and I have no idea where it went!

This was/still is a hot @ss summer down here. 5 gal. session, summer blonds and cream ales last about a week at my house.

5 gallons takes me & SWMBO 2 weeks. I think this is perfect because this frequency keeps me brewing regularly. If I were doing 10g's, it might cut my brewing in half! That would suck. I love trying different recipes every time. By the way... Does any have an AG Granville Island Maple Cream recipe?

Depending on style, about 3-4 weeks per 5 gallons.....

Although I made some Apple Graf that lasted a couple months on the keg....

I've cut down drinking so much since, I moved the kegorator out into the brew house...Now I have to walk across the yard for a beer LOL.....

My first batch ever was really tasty (Newcastle Brown Ale clone) and it didn't last very long at all. I'd say a little over a week.

Since then I've slowed my drinking down a bit (between moving and conscientiously slowing down my drinking) I've managed to get a pipeline going and have 2 batches that are ready with a 3rd being drinkable in a few days.

I'd say a 5 gallon batch lasts me 3 weeks now.

Either I am a light drinker compared to home brewers, or the folks here drink pretty heavy!

A 5 gallon batch, assuming I am not aging or saving it, and not cutting in other brews with it, will last me about 2 months. That is a case a month, which if drinking with the wife seems reasonable.

i'm with ya tall... i drink less than a beer a day. of course beer isn't my first choice, but i have no desire to distill gin.

that being said, i give more than half my beer away and yet i still have at least a dozen cases sitting around (many are sours, barleywines, etc. that i'll drink for years)...

the IPA and sours are mine, everything else is for other people.

Since I am not brewing again yet, I am still hitting the BMC stuff. I go through a case in about a week, so I guess when I start kegging I could look to get a couple of weeks out of 5 gallons.

Back