Autumn Maple Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
Since this only got 30 views and no responses in the recipe section yesterday, I'm cross posting here. Hopefully the mods will forgive me.

Anyone tried to clone The Bruery's Autum Maple? I did a search here and couldn't fine a recipie.

http://www.thebruery.com/beers/seasonalcollection.html

I found this recipie on blackalley brewing http://www.blackalleybrewing.com/2011/01/imperialized-autumn-maple.html but something just doesn't seem quite right about it. The beer seems more complex than what I think these ingredients would produce. Anyone else try this, or have another attempt at it?

Imperial Autumn Maple

Recipe Specifics
----------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.5
Anticipated OG: 1.099
Anticipated SRM: 19
Anticipated IBU: 25.8
Wort Boil Time: 150 Minutes
Anticipated ABV: 10.0%
Actual ABV: 13.2%

Grain/Fermentables
---------------------------
50 ½ % - 9.00 lbs domestic 2-Row
22.5% - 4.00 lbs Munich Malt
28.5% - 3.3 lbs Cooked Yams
3.5% - 10 oz. Maple Syrup - Add in Secondary
2.8% - ½ lb Caramunich
2.1% - 2 oz. Dark Molasses

Hops
------
40 grams Liberty (pellets, 4.5% AA) @ 60 minutes

Yeast
-------
Bruery house strain – cultured from a bottle of Orchard White

Water Profile and Additions
------------------------------------
Charcoal filtered Seattle water
1.2 grams per gallon Calcium Chloride added to the mash and sparge

Mash Schedule
-------------------
60 minutes @ 151
15 minutes @ 168
Sparge with 172 degree H2O

You left off the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and vanilla. It's kind of buried in the text on that blog, but it looks like they did use it. Would that account for the complexity you feel is missing? Seems pretty darn complex to me...

I read the black alley brewing blog and they actually have made a second attempt at this recipe with changes. Scroll down to the bottom of the page on that link you posted to see Autumn Ale II.

This looks really good. I think I will give it a go! But, not going to use the bottle-captured yeast they recommend. Maybe Wyeast 1968 or something else.

You left off the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and vanilla. It's kind of buried in the text on that blog, but it looks like they did use it. Would that account for the complexity you feel is missing? Seems pretty darn complex to me...

Didn't realize that didn't get copied, but yeah I got them when I transfered the recipie to BeerSmith.

Maybe the Mollases and Maple add a lot (never used them before so not real sure), but tasting the beer, it seem to me that the grain bill of

50 ½ % - 9.00 lbs domestic 2-Row
22.5% - 4.00 lbs Munich Malt
2.8% - ½ lb Caramunich

Seems like a fairly simple beer.
The grains for thunderstruck pumpkin (from Yuri on here) are

21.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
5.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.50 lb Biscuit Malt
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked

which is not a real complex profile and the one for the Autumn Maple seems like it would be even less so. I was expecting something else in the grain, but not sure what (chocolate malt maybe)

frailn said:
I read the black alley brewing blog and they actually have made a second attempt at this recipe with changes. Scroll down to the bottom of the page on that link you posted to see Autumn Ale II.

This looks really good. I think I will give it a go! But, not going to use the bottle-captured yeast they recommend. Maybe Wyeast 1968 or something else.

Yeah I saw that one too. Think most of their changes was due to the bottled yeast bringing the gravity down so low. Figured I would use one of the commercial Belgium strains so didn't need all of the changes, but will probably boost the game to 5 lbs and add the rice hulls

So if anyone is interested here is what I ended up brewing today. Did a BIAB. Plan to add the Maple Syurp in 2 weeks, and taste the spice then, but it tasted about right (a little strong so it can mellow) today.

Autumn Maple

Brewing Steps
Check Time Step
1-2 Days Before Brewing Prepare Yeast Starter
Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) [Starter 1892 ml] Yeast-Ale

7/30/2011 Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 10.00 gal water for brewing
-- Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct
12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
5 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain
5.00 lb Sweat Potatoe (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

-- WARNING: Preheat Mash Tun - No equipment adjustments made!
2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 40.48 qt of water at 165.4 F
90 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 90 min
--
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 9.53 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.052 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 90 min Boil Ingredients
Boil Amount Item Type
20 min 3.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar
60 min 1.50 oz Liberty [5.25 %] (60 min) Hops
0 min 3.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 0.0 min) Misc

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 7.00 gal
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) [Starter 1892 ml] Yeast-Ale

7/30/2011 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.070 SG) (1.067 without maple suryp)

secondary 12.0 oz Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar

Notes
1.040 Starter created on 7/28/11 at 4:00 pm
Baked Sweet potatoes on 7/29/11 for 1.5 hours at 400 degrees. Reheated potatoes in 175 degree oven before begining brew, mashed skins and all to add to mash.
Started 10.12 gal water at 7:34, hit Mashin in Temp (165.4) at 8:01
90 min Mash.
Had "Stuck Sparge"/drain of bag. Had to transfer to second pot to squeeze out
Ended up with 8.8 gal @ 1.060 Pre Boil
Boiled 90 mins (Hop addition at 60)
11:55 Started cooling, hit 90 at 12:01, cooled until 12:15 at 80
Pitched at 80degrees
7:0 gal in kettle @ 1.066, 6.25 gal in fermenter + 2 l starter

Just opened the first bottle after 16 days carbing up, still needs another week or so but blows all of the pumpkins I have done away. I ended up pitting another 2 tsp of pumking pie spice and 1 tap vanilla extract in at bottling

Has anyone else tried this? Mine has only been in the keg about a week and a half (still young), but I'm not digging it at all. Never tried the real stuff so I have nothing to compare it to. But it has this intense vegetal taste that's really overpowering. I'm not sure if it's the yams or if the maple syrup is contributing (never brewed with maple before). Also not getting any of the spices or vanilla. Hope this mellows a bit with some extra aging. If not, I'm dumping it. It's that undrinkable right now.

I made it, and it did get better with age. I didn't have any vegetal flavors, but after the first few bottles I did notice the beligum yeast did clash with the spices. With age (~3 mos) it did mellow out some. I didn't have access to the origianl to compare it to last year (main reason I brewed it was not being able to find it here in CO after getting it on the East coast 2 years ago), but I know it was different.

I think the base beer was really good, but if I brew it again, I will use a more neutral yeast.

since your kegging you could always make a spice tea and add a little more, but I'm not 100% sure it will help with what you have (you could try it in a glass first).

And to the poster above you, I don't have an extract recipie for it, sorry

I used the second batch Black Alley did for my version. I didn't want to create a direct clone, I just wanted to make a fall type beer that had yams in it.

So far the Yams aren't super present but there is a hint.

My changes:

--Didn't use Belgian yeast since some of the posters said it clashed with the other ingredients (used a super clean neutral yeast US-05, since I wanted the ingredients to be the star)
--Upped the spices a little from Black Alleys (1/4 tsp of nutmeg/cinnamon/allspice mixture, then an additional 1/4 tsp of just nutmeg) (this was for a 2 gal batch)

Taste before the secondary with maple: Spice level noticeable, but not overpowering, good balance of malt, spices, and a bit of sweetness, and a bit of yam flavor.

Since I didn't use the super attenutative strain they did (they used Bruery's house yeast harvested from bottle, which ended at 1.002) I ended up with about 1.016 (from 1.090) so it wasn't super dry.

I did two weeks with secondary with maple syrup (Grade B).

Taste after that:

A bit dryer, with the spices fading somewhat. Has sort of of a light "woody" taste which from what I've read comes from fermenting out maple syrup. Still an excellent beer.

They are conditioning now so I can give an update when its chilled/carbed.

Might have to try this again with a clean yeast. The base beer was good but the belgium yeast did clash a bit too much for me

The Black Alley Brewer is a buddy of mine, and I sat in on the clone tasting side-by-side with the original beer. I would unequivocally say that the recipe is cloned.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but wondering if anybody has retried this and what their thoughts were? Is a cleaner yeast the way to go? For those that thought the Belgian yeast clashed do you normally like Belgian beers? Wha tparticulary strain did you use and at what temps?

Back