Close your M%#*@^$F&^!*@G Ball Valve...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just shove my penis into it when that happens. Feels great too.

Not during the boil I hope... I can't buy a ball valve with a large enough opening for my tool to fit into... :D Not that the don't make them, just not within my budget to get one... Besides I don't feel like drilling THAT large of a hole into my kettle or MLT to install it.

I have, occasionally, forgotten to close the ball valve when cleaning the pot. Since it was open the last time the pot was used, it's an easy error to make. But, it's also of little impact, since it's usually pointed into the sink at that point...

If this is your MLT or kettle, then you should be checking your valve before you pour any liquid in...

That sucks dude, hope you didn't lost anything. I've lost about a half gallon before dumping my runnings into my boil kettle with my BV open.

I am certain I lost at least 1 gallon, perhaps 2 gallons of first runnings. I guess thats why i have 3lbs of wheat DME mysteriously hanging around...
The only other time I have been this stupid is a bottle session, but I was in the next room when the tell tale dribble started so no big deal.

Don't mind the_bird - his old girlfriend had problems with reading fractions on a ruler. ;) :D

Thought that was just problems reading in general... Plus I hear he likes them with no front teeth, so that his tool doesn't get caught between them... :tank:

Oh, and Home Depot doesn't list a valve with a large enough opening for me... Max size is 1" there... Believe the_bird picked up the 1/4" ball valve there. :cross:

I'd need to go to an industrial supply house to get a valve large enough... Not that I'd want to do this mind you. Something about 15-212F hot liquid hitting my junk that just doesn't appeal to me... :drunk:

@AZ_IPA: 25.4mm=1" :D

I heard it goes from A to Z if you put a keyboard next to it.

Wow,

Glad to offer a thread for such quality shyttalking...

I put this thread in the Beginners forum in part because it was such a newb thing to do but mostly to remind the newer people to set yourself up for success in dealing with the inevitable idiot moment.

Relax. Most likely you did nothing to completely ruin the batch, you just need to know what to do to solve the problem at hand. I very often go to Designing Great Beers for answers. Obviously How to Brew and the Complete Joy of Homebrewing are good resources as well..

Double check your equipment before you get going. Faiing to do this cost me $10 today.

Keep a bag of DME around. It will correct 9 gravity points per pound in a 5 gallon batch.

Keep some dry yeast around in case of emergency.

Write a list of needs at the end of a brew day so its fresh in your mind and you don't have to try and remember what you need when you go to the LHBS.

Let Go. I know you wanted 11 gallons of Wheat Beer, but you didn't close the ball valve on your BK and you lost 2 gallons of first runnings. Fortunately you set yourself up for success and you were able to adapt, solve your problem and in a month and a half can share the story as you pour a friend a glass of beer.

Most importantly, before you create a thread relax, grab a beer, and use the search function while you are calming down. Someone here has done the same thing you just did.

Latest posts

Back