American Brown Ale - Modified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celiacsurvivor

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a variation of Logans American Brown Ale;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/gluten-free-american-brown-ale-146619/

here are my changes.

1.8 kg Sorghum Syrup (15 min)
1 kg Buckwheat, roasted till dark brown
25 g Fuggles, pellet 7.7% (60 min)
19g East Kent Goldings, pellet 6.5% (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
500g Blackstrap Molasses
250g Dark Candi Sugar (82 SRM)
400g Rice Syrup
1 pkg SafAle English Ale (S-04) Pitched dry

I steeped the grains at 155-F for 30 min. then added the hops, molasses, candi sugar and rice syrup.

The buckwheat wasn't as dark as I would have liked, as my wife couldn't handle the smell of it roasting and I had to stop it early. I didn't have any millet ready so just used buckwheat.

I could only find rice syrup not Brown Rice Syrup but figured I'd try it anyway.

In my previous brews I have used 2.8kg of sorghum syrup but decided to drop it down this time to see if the flavour changes.

OG-1046
it weas bubbling away nicely this morning.

Here's the conversion, it isn't approximate

4 lb Sorghum Syrup (15 min)
2.2 lb Buckwheat, roasted till dark brown
.88 oz Fuggles, pellet 7.7% (60 min)
.67 oz East Kent Goldings, pellet 6.5% (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 lb 1.5 oz Blackstrap Molasses
8.8 oz Dark Candi Sugar (82 SRM)
14.1 oz Rice Syrup
1 pkg SafAle English Ale (S-04) Pitched dry

I'm interested in your take on the molasses. When I re-brew this I will be using a full lb of molasses (doubling it from the original) to see what happens. The Brown as originally brewed was great so hopefully these changes are steps forward instead of steps back.

That's a lot of molasses! I am also very interested in how this comes out.

Yes I got my conversion wrong, I though 500g was 1/2lb! I also though 25g was an ounce so my hops are slightly low.

The main experiment I was going for here was removing the sorghum. BUt I've got a couple of other changes to contend with too.

I still think it will be a good beer. The last time I brewed it the sorghum tang was quite strong so hopefully the extra mollases and riice syrup will remove that.

Yes I got my conversion wrong, I though 500g was 1/2lb! I also though 25g was an ounce so my hops are slightly low.

The main experiment I was going for here was removing the sorghum. BUt I've got a couple of other changes to contend with too.

I still think it will be a good beer. The last time I brewed it the sorghum tang was quite strong so hopefully the extra mollases and riice syrup will remove that.

This might be an ager, so don't throw it out even if it is a bit...strong at first. ;)

Just checked this morning, the gravity is 1011. It really tastes like mollasses at the moment, but that might not be a bad thing. I'll leave this in the primary for a while longer.

After the discussion on other threads I have to point out that I used liquid blackstrap mollasses in this recipe.
There was also dry mollasses on the same shelf which is what I used in my coffee stout (recipe to come). So if this is too overpowering I might repeat it exactly but with the other type.

I bottled this on the 29th October, and opened the first bottle last night.

It was nicely carbed and had a small but stable head.

The mollasses flavour was really overpowering and as I don't really like mollasses this kind of put me off.
However, the beer on the whole was not bad, I hope that if I leave it for another month or two the mollasses will die down and I will have a really nice brown ale.

Back