yeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillbrew

Reaction score
hey all, just spent a good hour reading tons of posts and tips etc. already learning so much. had some questions or desire to see some posting about ideal fermentation temps. my first brew(true brew amber ale kit) is fermenting in my cellar right now, which carries a pretty consistent 60-62 degrees F. i know that different yeasts have different temp needs i was just curious if this is too cold for a lot of different styles as winter is coming and the basement will get quite a bit cooler. any thoughts or tips about cold fermenting i can do down there?

thanks,
sam

Welcome to HBT Sam!
While yeast has a recommended range, it's usually pretty wide. I'm sure there are some yeasts that don't like it chilly but I haven't found one yet. I'm in the same boat with the cool basement thing but I have not had any trouble fermenting. I think my brews are probably better for fermenting on the lower side of the range.

When it gets much colder it's a little different story. In the dead of winter my ambient temperature can get to the mid 50s. During that time I run a oil heater to get the temperature up a few degrees. The heater only raises the temp to 60° or so. It just enough to keep the yeast happy.

Find a decent yeast with the lowest temp profile for you on the website of the yeast provider of your choice. If you have a consistently low temp maybe try a lager.

Back