LOOSE vs LOSE, sorry, spelling primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Sorry, I know, I know. I just see this EVERY TIME I am on this site.

To lose something, is to not know where it is.ex. "Don't LOSE your milk money"

You can loose something (kinda olde english but oh well) but that just means to set it free, you may still know where it is, but it is still pronounced "loose" like "My pants are too loose".

You don't loose a gallon of wort during bear absorption in your primary.(before the gnomes come)

You lose it.;)

Haha- you sound like Yuri now.

I'm not really a grammar nazi, but the one that gets me is "your". Your, you're, and worse, ur, are NOT interchangeable.

I'm now an old lady (grandma and all), but the other thing I can't get is textspeak. If you can't even spend the time to type out "you", and use punctuation, I can't spend the time formulating an answer to your (youre, ur) question.

Haha- you sound like Yuri now.

I'm not really a grammar nazi, but the one that gets me is "your". Your, you're, and worse, ur, are NOT interchangeable.

I'm now an old lady (grandma and all), but the other thing I can't get is textspeak. If you can't even spend the time to type out "you", and use punctuation, I can't spend the time formulating an answer to your (youre, ur) question.

Ha. I kno whut u meen. Drives me craZ 2.

Sorry, I know, I know. I just see this EVERY TIME I am on this site.

To lose something, is to not know where it is.ex. "Don't LOSE your milk money"

You can loose something (kinda olde english but oh well) but that just means to set it free, you may still know where it is, but it is still pronounced "loose" like "My pants are too loose".

You don't loose a gallon of wort during bear absorption in your primary.(before the gnomes come)

You lose it.;)

I really hope that the bolded word above was a joke since you took the time to "correct" everybody's spelling/grammar on this site.

The thing that really gets my goat, and I see it all the time, is the improper use of the progressive tense.

It's not "I am wanting", it's "I want", damn it!

One that has started to bug me recently is the use of "I'm a" or "I'm on a" when meaning to say "I'm going to".

example: I'm a go to the LHBS to get some yeast.
example: I'm on a try that out.

I have seen this two or three times on this forum in the last couple of weeks.

Misuse of the word "too" (people often just use "to") bugs me a little bit, too.

One that has started to bug me recently is the use of "I'm a" or "I'm on a" when meaning to say "I'm going to".

example: I'm a go to the LHBS to get some yeast.
example: I'm on a try that out.

I have seen this two or three times on this forum in the last couple of weeks.

Misuse of the word "too" (people often just use "to") bugs me a little bit, too.

People do it to sound funny, including me, but I was introduced to this as 'I'm erra.......'

And what, 'gonna' is not a real word?

Lotta word nazis here, so the fun is enhanced.

The only theng that cood make this thred bettur, is bacon. :D
kevin_bacon_goofy_haircut_six_degrees.jpg

I really hope that the bolded word above was a joke since you took the time to "correct" everybody's spelling/grammar on this site.

Oh my god!!!! I just did a spit take with my coffee! Is there anything more hilarious than a misspelling in a grammar-correction post?!?!?

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

It's only local dialect, (I'm a guessin') but I hate the way people around here miss out whole sets of words. ie, "That porch needs to be painted" becomes "That porch needs painted"

I have no real right to rag on it, but when that last quote is a direct example of the type of English used the local newspaper, it makes my blood boil. Hell, newspapers should speak English like what it should be spoke.

It's only local dialect, (I'm a guessin') but I hate the way people around here miss out whole sets of words. ie, "That porch needs to be painted" becomes "That porch needs painted"

I have no real right to rag on it, but when that last quote is a direct example of the type of English used the local newspaper, it makes my blood boil. Hell, newspapers should speak English like what it should be spoke.

Ok, was that intentional? :confused:

That's not just local to you. They do it in Bawlmer here too. I call it "dropping your tubees"

Oh my god!!!! I just did a spit take with my coffee! Is there anything more hilarious than a misspelling in a grammar-correction post?!?!?

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Durrrhurhurhurhur!

Sorry. See the link in the next post to the BEAR in the primary thread.

So suck your coffee back up and read the damn thread!!!lol

Back