Wyeast 3787 sulphur smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynux

Reaction score
I recently brewed the patersbier all grain kit from NB and I noticed a funky sulphur smell at the end of the fermentation and when I kegged the beer. I made a 1 liter starter and the beer took off like a rocket. I had steady fermentation at 66-68 wort temp and after 11 days hit 1.009 FG. I racked the beer to the keg on the advice of someone stating not to keep the beer on 3787 for too long due to funk problems. I pulled a sample 1 day after kegging just to sample the beer and it still smelled kind of sulphury/funky.

Has anyone used this yeast before and noticed the same thing? If so, did it eventually go away in the keg/bottle?

I've noticed it when sticking my nose into the blow off jug, but no other time...

Drinking Patersbier right now, it's an awesome summer beer! It's my second beer using 3787, the other being NB's Belgian Tripel, which did a 3wk primary and 2mo secondary, niether one made me think "stinky".

Yeah, I got that sulphury smell with a Golden Strong using 3787. Good news is it went away at about a month old and went on to become SWMBOs favorite beer.

Latest posts

Back