delaying full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
After I've mashed and sparged..... can I just let my wort chill out on the stove and bring it up to a full boil a couple hours later and add hops?

Like basically take a break in the middle? I'm mashing now and the wife informed me we are supposed to be somewhere later. Theres no way I can 60 min boil and cool down in time. Grr.

Any help?

After I've mashed and sparged..... can I just let my wort chill out on the stove and bring it up to a full boil a couple hours later and add hops?

Like basically take a break in the middle? I'm mashing now and the wife informed me we are supposed to be somewhere later. Theres no way I can 60 min boil and cool down in time. Grr.

Any help?

In the future let everyone know that when you brew the process can not be interrupted once you start because the quality of the beer depends on your complete attention.

Heat it up to 180 to denature the enzymes and kill off most of the bad germs, then put a sanitized cover on it and kill the heat. I should be good for a while till you get back.

Be sure to let the SWMBO know that you are taking a big risk - not sure what will happen - may be sacrificing your best brew yet, but that your love for her conquers any fears you have. May as well get a few points for spending later, if you can.

Seriously, an unhappy wife will make drinking any beer you have a miserable experience anyway. Get it hot, keep it sealed, it should be all right for a good while.

P.S - Just noticed that I am a few hours late. How did it work out?

I put the lid on it inside, came back and brought to a boil about 2-3 hours later.

Its in the fermenter and already showing signs of fermentation. (no bubbling but the plastic lid has already swelled up)

I got terrible efficiency, but thats a total seperate issue. I ended up cutting the overall batch size to compensate, and it will just be a bit darker and hoppier than intended but still within acceptable range.

pALMER SAYS THERE IS NO PROBLEM AND SUGGESTS (oops cap lock) you do it if you want to do a full boil in two half batches.

Back